My friend, Vicky Crowley, brought this dish to work today for several us to try. There is a group of us at work who share dishes/recipes to get new ideas for making new and different meals.
She changed it up a bit and didn’t roll the cabbage but made it into more of a casserole. It was fantastic. I had seconds, as did most of us at lunch today! You can make a gluten free version of this recipe if you use a gluten free tomato soup. Make sure to read your labels because not all tomato soups are gluten free! As a matter of fact, read the labels on the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes to ensure all brands you use are gluten free.
My husband loves cabbage and I cant wait to make this for him! It’s definitely a keeper!!
- 1½ lbs lean ground beef or pork (or a mixture of the two)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 can condensed tomato soup (read your labels if you are gluten free to ensure you get a gluten free brand)
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- teaspoon thyme
- ¾ cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 head cabbage
- ⅓ cup water
- 1½ cups Mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Brown beef or pork, onion, garlic and seasonings over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain.
- Add 1 cup tomato sauce, 1 cup water and ½ can of tomato soup and diced tomatoes to the beef.
- Stir in rice, and mix well until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Chop cabbage into 4 wedges and remove core. Chop into chunks (Vicky’s were about ¾”x1.5″).
- Layer ½ of the meat mixture and ½ of the cabbage in the slow cooker. Repeat layers.Place half the meat and then half the cabbage in cooker.
- Combine the remaining tomato soup, remaining tomato sauce and ⅓ cup water. Pour over top of cabbage.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours or just until rice is cooked. Once done, turn slow cooker off, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and let sit 10 minutes to set and melt cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.