Oh my goodness, I love pasta!I have a tasty one for us today! This one is yummy and healthy! It is super high in protein and fiber and really low in calories. I'm helping a family member look for new recipes that are healthy...yet taste good and ran across this one. We tried it and really liked it! It's really easy to make and can be made Gluten Free! Now - if you choose to use whole wheat pasta, it's a good source of dietary fiber.
You also don't have to use chicken. You can use tofu if you are looking for a vegetarian version! Chinese-style tofu, which is firmer than Japanese tofu, is the best choice for this recipe.
If you are going Gluten Free, make sure to use Gluten Free pasta. If you are choosing to use tofu and no chicken, use extra-firm tofu and slice it lengthwise into ½ inch slices and pop them on the grill.
Try it out! I went ahead a listed the nutritional value below.
- 1 package of chicken breast tenders OR if using tofu use 7 ounces of extra firm tofu
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut lengthwise in half and seeded
- 1 large yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise
- ½ pound asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 ounces of baby portobello mushrooms
- ½ cup reduced-fat balsamic dressing, divided
- ¼ cup snipped fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups uncooked rotini
- ¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Prepare grill for direct cooking. Grill your chicken or tofu until done.
- Snip basil using a chopper or kitchen shears
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to package directions, drain and keep warm.
- Brush your vegetables with ¼ cup of Balsamic dressing. Then take your vegetables and grill them in a grilling basket on the grill for about 10 minutes or until done.
- Take your chicken or tofu and chop it into bite size pieces.
- Combine the pasta, fresh basil, vegetables and chicken or tofu into a large bowl.
- Add the remaining Balsamic dressing and stir to combine.
- Grate Parmesan cheese over the pasta.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
Nutrients per serving
- Recipe source: inspired by Pampered Chef