Quick & Easy Chicken Caprese
Fresh and flavorful, this chicken caprese recipe is a one dish meal made with baked chicken breasts topped with melted Provolone and ricotta cheese and then mixed with oregano and tomatoes. This Italian inspired meal is perfect for dinner and will be on your table in 30 minutes!
Servings: 4 people
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, part-skim or whole
- ½ teaspoon oregano, dried
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 4 slices Provolone cheese, sliced
Preheat oven to 350°F.
With an electric mixer, combine the ricotta cheese, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
Rub the chicken with the garlic powder. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes per side. NOTE: Your chicken will not be done!
Place the breasts side-by-side in a large baking dish.
Spoon ¼ cup of the ricotta cheese on top of each breast. From there, add ¼ cup of the crushed tomatoes onto each piece.
Place 1 slice of Provolone cheese on top of the crushed tomatoes.
Bake for 20 minute, or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion of a breast registers 165°F.
Once done, remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Pat the chicken with paper towels to remove any excess moisture before adding the garlic powder.
- Don't over bake the breasts. Since you've already sauteed the chicken, finish cooking it in the oven until it reaches 165°F, which should only take about 20 more minutes.
- When mixing the ricotta cheese, feel free to add in any additional Italian seasonings you like. I've like using dried basil, Italian Seasoning, or rosemary. Anything I've ever is delicious!
- When done, allow the dish to rest for about 5 minutes before serving. This helps lock in the moisture and results in very juicy meat when you slice into it.
- Leftovers are great but try serving this on bread and enjoying it as a sandwich!
Calories: 515kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 61g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 189mg | Sodium: 706mg | Potassium: 1114mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 644IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 308mg | Iron: 2mg