Fajita Stuffed Grilled Flank Steak
An amazing addition to your summer cookout, this fajita stuffed flank steak is packed with deliciousness! A fajita mixture of green, orange, and yellow peppers, onion, jalapeño, and garlic form a colorful mosaic when the steak is sliced. Pour on a bit of the chipotle lime crema for some Mexican flair. You are going to love every bite of this flank steak!
Servings: 5 people
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced (seeds and stem removed)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced (seeds and stem removed)
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced (seeds and stem removed)
- 2 jalapeños, sliced (seeds and stem removed)
- 1 onion cut into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces pepper jack cheese
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup chipotle lime crema
- ½ cup olive oil, extra virgin
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat the grill until it reaches an internal temperature of 350°F.
Butterfly the steak by running your knife through the middle of the steak so that you can open it up like a book. Keep cutting carefully until you get to the other edge but don’t cut all the way through, you will need a binding to hold your steak book together.
Lay the flank steak out flat and cover it with some plastic wrap. Pound with a meat tenderizer mallet until it is about ½-inch thick.
Use a medium-sized bowl to mix the marinade ingredients. Expert Tip: If you don't want to use a plastic bag, you can use a large bowl with a lid.
Place the meat in the plastic bag with the marinade and zip it shut. Let the steak marinate for about 1 hour.
In a large sauté pan, heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the bell peppers, onions, and jalapeños until the onions are translucent or about 8-10 minutes.
Then, add the garlic and fajita seasoning and sauté for another 2 minutes until the garlic becomes fragrant.
Remove the meat from the marinade and lay it flat on your work surface. Using paper towels, pat the steak dry and begin to lay the fajita vegetables onto the steak.
Cover it completely from edge-to-edge with the vegetables. Lay the slices of pepper jack cheese on top of the vegetables.
Roll up the flank steak. Expert Tip: You want to be sure that you are rolling against the grain of the meat so that when you slice into the flank steak, you are cutting against the grain. It is ok if the vegetables fall out, just push them back in as you roll the steak up.
Once it is completely rolled up, use cooking twine to tie a knot around the steak. Tie it shut every 2-4 inches to be sure it stays together well.
Place the stuffed flank steak on the grill and cook at 300°F for about 40-60 minutes, until the internal temperature of the steak reaches 130°F for medium rare.
Remove the steak from the grill and allow it to rest under a sheet of aluminum foil for about 10 minutes. NOTE: The aluminum foil should fit loose and not tightly wrapped around the steak.
Slice the meat against the grain into 1-inch thick slices.
Serve along with the chipotle lime crema, either on the side or drizzled over the top.
- Grill at 300°F using your favorite wood. I use competition blend pellets by Pit Boss. Oak and Mesquite wood also pairs well with this recipe.
- Since the meat cooks so quickly, we will not get TONS of smoke from the wood. You can adjust the temperature down to 250°F or even 225°F to get more smoke flavor but you will double the cooking time.
- Be sure to use cooking twine to hold the meat together. I usually space the twine about 2-4 inches apart to be sure it is held together well. If you do not have cooking twine, you can use toothpicks or wooden skewers to suture it.
Calories: 758kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 52g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 1673mg | Potassium: 1034mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 2839IU | Vitamin C: 97mg | Calcium: 421mg | Iron: 5mg