Basil Strawberry Cream Cheese Dip
The easiest and most flavorful cream cheese dip I've ever tasted! Perfect for a crowd and always gets gobbled up fast! The combined flavors of fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, and strawberry sauce is divine!
Servings: 8 people
- 1 ½ cups frozen whole strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 8 ounce package Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
Put the frozen strawberries, sugar, and balsamic vinegar in a medium bowl.
Allow the strawberries to thaw, about 45 minutes, and then mash the ingredients together using a hand held masher or a large fork. Expert Tip: You want the sauce to be a little bit chunky so don't completely mash all the strawberries.
Remove the cream cheese from the package and place on a serving plate.
Slowly spoon the strawberry sauce over the cream cheese.
Top with thinly sliced basil.
Serve with your favorite crackers or pita chips. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
- When making this appetizer, I like to soften the cream cheese at the same time the whole strawberries are thawing. Cut the block from the tin wrapping and set it on a plate. After about 30 minutes at room temperature, it becomes soft and easy to slice into and spread.
- Regular balsamic vinegar works well with this recipe but if you have a flavored balsamic vinegar, use it. Balsamic reduction also works extremely well is this recipe. This will produce a thicker sauce.
- I like to spread this on bagels or crackers. Then sometimes I stir it all together and use it as a dip where I dip my crackers into it. Eat it however makes you happiest!
- I do not recommend freezing this recipe. When you freeze cream cheese and then let it thaw, the texture is not as creamy and it does not spread well.
- Both pita chips and crackers work well with this recipe. The crunch and granularity of the cracker really helps bring all the flavors and textures together.
- You can also use any leftover strawberry glaze in a bowl of oatmeal, over a scoop of ice cream, spread over a bagel, or mixed in with yogurt and granola!
Calories: 106kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 46mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 44IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg