Creamy Tomato and White Bean Soup
This creamy soup is the perfect comfort food you can enjoy without feeling guilty. Thickened with blended cannellini beans, this healthy soup is topped with fresh basil is rich in flavor and oh so satisfying. And, it's done and ready to eat in 30 minutes!
Servings: 4 people
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 fresh tomatoes, on vine
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth,
- 1 Tablespoon butter, unsalted
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, optional
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic and saute for 1 minute, until soft.
Dice the fresh tomatoes and add them to a large pan.
Add in the sauteed onions and garlic as well as the can of diced tomatoes, dried basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stil until well combined.
Cover and bring the contents to a boil, then lower the heat and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes.
Working in batches, transfer the tomato mixture to a blender. Add the beans and chicken broth.
Puree for 2 minutes. Once everything is well blended, return the pureed mixture to the large saucepan and simmer on medium low heat for 5-10 minutes, covered.
Add in the butter and Parmesan cheese (optional) and stir until melted. Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve immediately.
- A food processor also works if you don't have a blender.
- Store any leftovers in a container with a lid in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- This white bean soup freezes really well. When the soup completely cools, store it in a freezer safe container or a gallon size ziplock bag. When you're ready to eat, thaw it in the refrigerator and then reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
- I love topping this soup with raw pumpkin seeds, sunflower kernels, fresh basil, or sour cream.
- If your not dairy free, try adding ½ cup of fresh Parmesan cheese in the last step of when you add the butter. The cheese makes it even creamier.
- This hearty vegetable soup recipe is so amazing with a grilled cheese sandwich or served with any toasted bread. Especially, toasted cheesy bread like my Quick Peppery Cheese Bread.
Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 592mg | Potassium: 335mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 971IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 197mg | Iron: 1mg