Autumn Vegetable Beef Soup
Nothing beats this Vegetable Beef Soup recipe made with hamburger meat and plenty of autumn vegetables including carrots, celery, tomatoes, red bell pepper, and black beans. Slowly simmered in a tomato chicken based broth.
Servings: 8 people
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 5 ½ fluid ounces tomato juice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 15 ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Topping ideas - crumbled corn chips, plain Greek yogurt, sour cream, cilantro, mozzarella cheese
In a large skillet, brown the meat until no longer pink. Drain the meat and set aside.
Heat the oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the chopped onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, and celery to the skillet.
Sauté for about 10-15 minutes, until softened.
Add the chili powder and cumin to the sautéed vegetables and sauté for another 3 minutes.
Add the vegetables to a large pot and pour in the broth, black beans, ground beef, tomatoes, tomato juice, salt, and pepper.
Stir well and cook on medium heat uncovered for 30 minutes.
Pour the soup into bowls and top with your favorite toppings.
- Vegan/Vegetarian - If you want to make this recipe just a "vegetable soup" recipe, leave out the meat and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Chicken Stock vs. Chicken Broth - Chicken Stock is a thicker liquid because of the gelatin. It also contains more protein because it's derived from the bones of the chicken. Chicken broth is a bit lighter in flavor. I use chicken stock in this recipe, but feel free to use broth if that's all you have on hand.
- Storage - keep this soup covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 3-4 days.
- Slow Cooker - If you want to make a slow cooker version of this recipe, just brown your meat and put all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Toppings - I love crumbling tortilla chips on top of this soup. I also like topping this with fresh parsley, cilantro, sour cream, or plain Greek Yogurt.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 1094mg | Potassium: 739mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6133IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 3mg