Easy Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe
Creamy and delicious while both sweet and savory, this mashed sweet potato recipe is easy to make and is the perfect side dish to accompany any weeknight dinner. And if you're looking for sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving, this recipe is deliciously irresistible!
Servings: 6 people
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves, whole
- 6 Tablespoons butter, salted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into bite-size pieces.
Rinse well and set aside. In a large pot, combine the sweet potato chunks, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, and whole cloves.
Add enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring potatoes to a boil, until they become tender (about 20 minutes).
When done, drain the potatoes and add them to a large mixing bowl and set aside. Discard the cinnamon stick and the 2 whole cloves.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the ground cinnamon, salt, and ground clove.
Once your butter mixture is well mixed, pour the butter mixture over the cooked sweet potatoes and mash with a hand masher or electric mixer until the desired consistency.
Top with your favorite toppings, such as pecans, raisins, and marshmallows and serve.
1. These are the 4 most popular ways to mash potatoes:
2. You can freeze these mashed sweet potatoes. After you've smashed them and once they've changed completely cooled, add the mixture to a plastic sealable bag and flatten. Lay the bag flat in the freezer and store for up to 3 months. When you're ready reheat, place the bag of sweet mashed potatoes in the refrigerator to thaw. Once it is completely thawed, warm them up in the microwave, in the oven, or on the stove top.
- Lumpy - For this recipe, I like to take a hand held masher and press until slightly mashed. This method allows for some texture in each bite.
- Creamy - If you want them super creamy, grab an electric or standing mixer and mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Puree - For the softest and lightest consistency, grab a blender or food processor and puree. Sweet potato puree can be used for pie filling, baby food, and more.
- Smashed - For a more solid form, lightly take a fork and press down.
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 350mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 12645IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 1mg