Slow-Cooker Southwestern Beef Chili
Beef chili is so tasty because it can be made so many different ways. I love the southwestern style of this homemade chili because it's made with corn, black beans, and chilies. Regardless if you serve it with crackers or cornbread, this slow cooker chili recipe is full of flavor and will leave any crowd wanting more!
Servings: 8 people
- 1 White Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- ¼ cup Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
- 3 10 ounce Jars of Pace Salsa, mild
- 1 can Black Beans, drained
- 1 can Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 can Sweet Corn, drained
- 1 4 ounce can Green Chilies
- Fresh grated Cheddar Cheese, green onions or sour cream, optional for toppings
Add onion, green pepper, garlic clove, ground beef, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, pepper, salsa, black beans, kidney beans, corn and chilies into the slow cooker. NOTE: There is no need to ground the beef before putting it into the Crock-Pot, but you can if you want.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Serve with your favorite toppings with crackers, cornbread, rice and or noodles.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- You may be questioning my logic about not browning the ground beef before adding it to the crockpot. Since it's going to slow cook for 8-10 hours along with the other ingredients, why spend the time browning the meat? It's going to completely cook during the slow cooking process.
- If you're looking for incredible flavor, use an 80% or 85% fat ground beef. If you want less fat, try 93% or 96% beef.
- My kids tell me this is the best to add on top of hot dogs. Can we say CHILI DOGS?! Perfect for either lunch or dinner!
- Can you freeze this chili? Yes you can! I eat soups all year long so after I make a big batch and let it cool, I put it in a 1-gallon plastic sealable bag. Make sure you flatten it our before placing it in the freezer. It should keep for about 6 months in the freezer. When you're ready to warm it up, take the bag out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator to thaw. From there, warm it up on the stovetop.
- Green Chilies Brands - I love using the following brands for green chilies: Hatch, La Victoria, Ortega.
Calories: 252kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 168mg | Potassium: 415mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 19.4mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 2.6mg