Greek Marinated Chicken
This Greek Marinated Chicken is EASY and hands down the most flavorful and juiciest chicken recipe I've ever tasted! Only 5 minutes to prep! Full of Greek flavors like oregano, garlic, parsley and lemon, this dish screams flavor! The secret to this chicken dish is in the marinade!
Servings: 8 people
- 1 5.3 ounce tub of plain Greek Yogurt, (I use Chobani)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (if you have a flavored olive oil, use it!)
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- ½ Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 lemon, (juice and zest)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 4 lbs boneless and skinless chicken thighs and drumsticks
To make the marinade, combine the yogurt, olive oil, minced garlic, oregano, lemon juice, parsley, salt ,and pepper in a bowl. Stir well.
Use a cheese grater or zester to scrape a thin layer of lemon zest from half the lemon. Add lemon zest to the bowl of marinade ingredients.
Grab a gallon sized Ziplock bag and add the chicken pieces and marinade to the bag. Move each piece around to ensure all are well coated.
Refrigerate the the meat in the marinade for at least 6 hours. Expert Tip: I like to marinate it overnight. The longer the marinade, the more flavorful!
After marinating, you can choose to grill the chicken on an outdoor grill,oven grill, or bake it in the oven. If you bake it in the oven, preheat oven to 350°F and bake for the breasts for about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.If you choose to grill, do so for 25-30 minutes or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Top with fresh grated lemon zest and serve immediately.
- Make this Greek marinated chicken recipe with breasts, thighs, and drumsticks. I find using either boneless skinless thighs, bone-in thighs, and drumsticks to be the best because the dark meat provides so much flavor. The dark meat has more fat than the breast so when I'm wanting "melt in your mouth" texture, I go for the dark meat.
- When grilling drumsticks, it's recommended to grill the meat for 8-12 minutes on each side. When the legs are done, the meat will start to slightly pull back from the bone.
I always top this dish with fresh lemon zest. It helps intensify the flavor in every bite and let me tell you, every bite is FULL of garlic and just the right amount of lemon flavor. It's just beyond delicious!
- I'm a big believer is using a flavored olive oil when cooking. Any kind of flavored olive oil is great for this recipe. I've used a lemon based olive oil, rosemary based olive oil and garlic based olive oil. The flavor in the olive oil really makes the flavor "pop" when it's going through the marination process. It makes the flavor that much more intense.
- Want those grill marks and char? Turn up the fire toward the end and turn over once. Just don't let the chicken burn or overcook. To get those char marks, it's all in your grilling technique.
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 215mg | Sodium: 348mg | Potassium: 588mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 63IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg