Shredded Chicken Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
This Shredded Chicken Tacos recipe is so easy and requires NO COOKING! Warmed corn tortillas are loaded with juicy, shredded rotisserie chicken then topped with a cilantro coleslaw. Pile on all your favorite toppings from fresh sliced avocado to soft and crumbly feta cheese. This easy dinner idea is perfect for those weeknights when you little to no time to prepare dinner.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ½ cup salsa
- 8 corn tortilla, warmed
Cabbage and Cilantro Slaw
- 4 cups shredded raw cabbage
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Combine all the Cabbage and Cilantro Slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine the shredded chicken and salsa. Warm in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until warm.
Warm the tortillas in the microwave, oven, grill, or stove top.
To assemble the tacos, top each tortilla with 2 to 3 tablespoons of chicken and a spoonful of cabbage slaw.
Add on your favorite toppings and serve.
- Quality Tortillas - although I recommend using corn tortillas, you can use either corn or flour when making these tacos. Using a good quality tortilla will not only enhance the taste, but will make the tacos more durable. Using a good quality tortilla shell is a game changer. In this Best Corn Tortillas Article, you'll learn about 8 brands that are worth trying out. I use Guerrero White Corn Tortillas and have no problems with breakage after warming.
- Meal Prep - this is the perfect recipe to use when meal prepping! You can easily double this recipe to eat on all week for lunches. Portion out the chicken into individual containers for perfect portion control.
- Toppings - the options are endless. These shredded chicken tacos remind me of baja tacos because of the shredded cabbage. I highly recommend using the cilantro cabbage as opposed to shredded lettuce to get the full effect and flavor of this particular recipe. Even if you aren't a fan of cabbage, try this version. It's absolutely delish. Here's some ideas for some additional toppings:
- Cotija cheese - provides a creamy and velvety texture that softens even more when placed on the warm chicken.
- Feta cheese - a salty and tangy flavor that pairs well with the fresh lime.
- Mexican Street Corn - the creaminess of the cotija cheese mixed in the charred corn and incorporated with the mild spice of the jalapeno makes this topping irresistible.
- Fresh Avocado - an alternative to cheese and provides a fresh creamy flavor.
- Guacamole - contains only the freshest ingredients, is super easy and fast to make, and is heart healthy.
- Salsa - spice it up with a medium or hot salsa. Using flavored salsas also taste amazing, such as this peach salsa.
- Fresh Tomatoes - adds a fresh acidic flavor.
- Black Bean Dip -the juicy, plum tomatoes paired with black beans and zesty citrus lime juice tastes amazing on tacos.
- Jalapenos - adds an extra layer of hot and spicy.
Serving: 2tacos | Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 266mg | Potassium: 322mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 1mg