Gluten Free Apple Crumble
Juicy apples baked with cinnamon and sugar are topped with a gluten free streusel in this gluten free apple crumble!
Servings: 8 people
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes (1 stick)
- 4 apples Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, or Gala
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (one small lemon)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed tightly
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (gluten free)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Crumble:
Combine the almond flour, brown rice flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Whisk gently to combine.
Use a pastry blender or your hands to mix the cold butter into the dry ingredients. Set the crumble aside in the freezer while you prepare the apple filling.
For the Apple Filling:
Slice the apples in half, remove the cores. Slice thinly. Toss the apples with the lemon juice in a bowl to prevent browning.
Add the brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon to the apples. Gently stir.
Place the apple mixture in the prepared baking pan. Top with the cold crumble; press the crumble down with your fingers.
Bake for 55-60 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Optional: serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- After preparing the crumble, it's important to place it in the freezer while you work on the apple filling. The crumble bakes more consistently if the butter is brought back down to a cold temperature.
- You'll get the best results if you use crisp apples for this apple crumble. Stay away from soft apples, such as Macintosh and Red Delicious. Below are my favorite apples to use when baking.
- Granny Smith - Tart, crisp and fail-proof for an apple pie recipe.
- Jazz - Crisp texture, juicy, and sweet.
- Honeycrisp - Extremely crispy and is great to use when baking.
- Pink Lady - Both sweet and tart.
- Gluten free all purpose flour is a great substitute for almond flour.
- Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 151mg | Potassium: 138mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 405IU | Vitamin C: 5.6mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1.2mg