Best Potato Salad Recipe
Out of this world outstanding...this is the best potato salad recipe ever! Smooth and velvety, this dill based potato salad has simple ingredients, can be made ahead, and is full of flavor. And there's a secret to getting that velvety texture This is a family favorite recipe everyone will love!
Servings: 15 people
Boil the whole potatoes in a big pot with the skins on and not cubed.
After the potatoes are done boiling (the skins should be pulling back a little bit) about 30 minutes, drain them and let them cool for about 30 minutes.
Cut the peelings off the potatoes. Peelings should be very easy to cut off.
Cut the potatoes into cubes and place them in a big bowl.
Add the mayonnaise, mustard, relish, red onion, and celery, salt and pepper.
Combine all ingredients well. Taste test to ensure it’s at the right level of flavor you want. Add more of an ingredient if you think it needs it.
Store in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours before serving.
- How Long Will it Last? - You're looking at about 4 days when kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I don't recommend freezing this recipe because it contains mayonnaise.
- Is it Gluten Free? - Yes! I use only the simplest ingredients and they are all gluten free.
- How Much to Serve a Crowd? - I use a 5 lb bag of potatoes when making this recipe and that will feed about 12-15 people.
- Can I Add Eggs and Other Ingredients? - Absolutely! Adding slices of boiled eggs is similar to the old fashioned potato salad recipes you probably grew up on and if you want to add it, do it!
- Do My Measurements Have To Be Exact? - This is one of those recipes where you really have to judge the measurements by taste. I taste this recipe like 10 times while making it to ensure it's exactly how I want it to taste. If you feel it needs a little more mayo for your liking, add it! Want more salt, add it!
- Red Onions - I highly recommend using red onions instead of yellow or sweet onions. Red onions are mild and sweet, but provide the most robust flavor when added to cold salads.
Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 650mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 8.9mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1.4mg