Rosemary Compound Butter
One of the best ways to add delicious flavor to meat and vegetables is by using compound butters. Full of flavor and made with fresh rosemary, cracked peppercorns, salt, and unsalted butter, use this herb butter on top of steaks, as a rub for a whole turkey, and on top of grilled corn on the cob!
Servings: 6 people
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, Himalayan, sea, or kosher
Finely chop the fresh rosemary sprigs and set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix the softened butter, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh rosemary, about 20 seconds. Expert Tip: To mix, use either an electric mixer or a handheld mixer.
Using a spatula, place the mixture onto a small piece of parchment paper, about 6 inches long.
Starting from one edge of the parchment paper, carefully roll the mixture while pushing and spreading it within the paper to form into a cylinder shape.
Once the butter is wrapped tight, twist the ends closed on both sides. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until ready to use.
When firm and ready for use, use a sharp knife to slice into ¼ thick rounds and place on your favorite cooked steak, chicken, or fish!
- If you have a coffee grinder, use it to finely chop the fresh rosemary and peppercorns. It works extremely well!
- It only takes 1 hours for refrigerated butter to become soft at room temperature.
- This recipe can serve for two different purposes. While it's excellent as a compound, it also works really well as a rub on a lot of food such as raw chicken and turkey before cooking.
- This will last in your refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. Once sliced, place the leftover roll in a sealable plastic bag to maintain the freshness.
- I don't recommend using a salted butter but you won't be able to control the salt level. By using unsalted, you can control the amount of salt you use.
Calories: 134kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 390mg | Potassium: 5mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 467IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg