Vegan Raspberry Bars
These Coconut Raspberry Bars are dairy-free and egg-free and are bursting with flavour! The soft, mashed raspberries provide a delightful contrast to the crunchy top layer of baked coconut. They are perfect for serving to company!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 cup flour (I used whole wheat, you can also substitute white or gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine (I used Melt margarine sticks)
- 1/8 cup hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon dairy-free milk (I used rice milk)
- 2 cup raspberries, mashed (substitute 3/4 C raspberry jam if you desire a sweeter flavour)
- 2/3 cup sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
- 1 banana, mashed , divided. Use ripe banana
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sliced, blanched almonds (optional)
In a medium bowl add the flour, margarine, milk, baking powder, 1/2 mashed banana and hemp seeds (if using). Combine well.
Add mixture to greased 9" (23 cm) square baking pan. Spread evenly with the back of a spoon.
Spread the mashed raspberries evenly over the flour mixture in the pan with the back of a spoon.
In another medium bowl, combine sugar and 1/2 mashed banana well with a fork. Stir in coconut, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Mix well until evenly blended.
Gently spread coconut mixture on top of raspberry mixture in pan, being careful not to press too hard.
Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the top layer of the bars is golden brown.
If using the almonds, remove pan halfway through baking and sprinkle almonds over the top layer of the bars. Return to oven to complete baking.
Let pan cool on the counter, then place in the fridge for 30 minutes. The bars will be easier to cut when chilled.
Serving: 1bar | Calories: 105kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 53mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.5mg