Nothing beats this Vegetable Beef Soup recipe made with hamburger meat and plenty of autumn vegetables including carrots, celery, tomatoes, red bell pepper, and black beans. Slowly simmered in a tomato chicken based broth, you’re going to love every bite!
Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
The cold days and nights are upon us and I’m so thankful my family loves warm and comforting soups. When the weather turns, they start asking me to make my Southwest Stew, White Chicken Chili, and Creamy White Bean Tomato Soup. And let me tell you, they’re loving this new Autumn Vegetable Beef Soup. It’s hearty and filled with so many fresh vegetables my kids love. Especially the carrots. They think multi-colored carrots are so cool. Rainbow carrots actually provide different nutrients than the typical orange carrots so we add a lot of them to this recipe.
Is Vegetable Beef Soup Good For You?
This homemade vegetable soup is hearty, healthy, and loaded with protein and vegetables. It’s naturally gluten free and full of fiber.
Ingredients For This Recipe
Here’s the key players. (Scroll below for full recipe)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – used to saute the onions, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, and celery.
- Onion and Garlic Cloves – adds lots and lots of flavor. Use fresh garlic cloves.
- Red Bell Pepper – unique flavor enhancer, kind of adds a southwest flavor to this soup. Make sure to use a fresh red bell pepper, not a jar of roasted red peppers.
- Carrots – I use multi-colored carrots but you can use orange carrots. Leave the peeling on for extra nutrition.
- Celery – an aromatic vegetable and super flavorful ingredient when sauteed.
- 1 Can Petite Diced Tomatoes – provides a mild tomato flavor.
- Chili Powder and Cumin – mild spices that deliver a savory taste.
- Chicken Broth – the comforting base.
- Tomato Juice – pairs with the chicken stock and adds to the tomato taste.
- Black Beans – I’ll take as much protein and fiber as I can get so I added black beans to provide a protein kick, and the added flavor is delish! Pairs perfectly with the red bell pepper for that southwestern taste.
- Ground Beef – ground hamburger meat is great in this dish. I like a higher fat percentage because it adds flavor so I use 85% ground beef. You could also use ground turkey or beef stew meat. If you’re not feeling meat for this soup, leave it out. It’s an optional ingredient.
- Salt and Pepper – used to add more flavor.
How To Make Vegetable Beef Soup
- Ground the hamburger meat until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Chop the onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, and celery and add them to a large skillet.
- Sauté for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
- Add chili powder and cumin to the sautéed vegetables and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Move the vegetables to a large pot and pour in the chicken broth, black beans, ground hamburger meat, and tomatoes.
- Stir well and cook on low, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- When the soup has finished cooking, pour into bowls and top with your favorite toppings.
Variations and Expert Tips
- Vegan/Vegetarian – If you want to make this vegetable beef soup recipe just a “vegetable soup” recipe, leave out the meat and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Chicken Stock vs. Chicken Broth – Chicken Stock is a thicker liquid because of the gelatin. It also contains more protein because it’s derived from the bones of the chicken. Chicken broth is a bit lighter in flavor. I use chicken broth in this recipe so I can get the full taste experience from the vegetables and beans. If you want a more robust, thick, comforting soup, use chicken stock instead of chicken broth.
- Storage – keep this soup covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 3-4 days.
- Slow Cooker – If you want to make a slow cooker version of this recipe, just brown your meat and put all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Toppings – I love crumbling tortilla chips on top of this soup. I also like topping this with fresh parsley, cilantro, sour cream, or plain Greek Yogurt.
Can You Freeze Vegetable Beef Soup?
Yes! It freezes really well. Here’s what you need to know:
- Once the soup has cooked and has completely cooled, pour it into a freezer safe container. Don’t overfill because it will expand as it freezes.
- It will last for 3-4 months in the freezer.
- To thaw, just place the frozen soup in the refrigerator and let it naturally and slowly thaw. It will take about 8-12 hours to completely thaw in the fridge. Then, you can warm it up in the microwave or on the stove.
Other Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Greek Lemon and Chicken Soup (Avgolemono Soup)
- Very Veggie Chicken Noodle Soup
- Tortilla Soup
- Guiness Irish Stew
- Potato Cheese Soup
Stay Updated! Get all the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox by signing up to receive my weekly email for the latest and greatest recipes!
Nothing beats this Vegetable Beef Soup recipe made with hamburger meat and plenty of autumn vegetables including carrots, celery, tomatoes, red bell pepper, and black beans. Slowly simmered in a tomato chicken based broth.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 5.5 fluid ounces tomato juice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 15 ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Topping ideas - crumbled corn chips, plain Greek yogurt, sour cream, cilantro, mozzarella cheese
In a medium saucepan, ground the hamburger meat until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Chop the onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, and celery and add them to a large saucepan.
- Sauté for about 15 minutes, until softened.
Add the chili powder and cumin to the sautéed vegetables and sauté for another 3 minutes.
Move the vegetables to a large pot and pour in the broth, black beans, ground beef, and tomatoes.
Stir well and cook on medium temperature uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with your favorite toppings.