This easy, healthier cinnamon rice pudding (vegan) is thick, perfectly spiced, naturally gluten-free and surprisingly plant-based! It uses maple syrup as a sweetener, non-dairy milk to make it creamy, and cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla to take it to the next level! Who said rice pudding had to be boring?
Hi there, I wanted to introduce myself. I am Allison Leigh from Purely Ally and am a new contributor at Recipes Worth Repeating. I happily live a plant-based lifestyle, and post my kitchen creations which are always free of meat, fish, dairy, and eggs. Many are naturally gluten-free as well! I try to stay on the healthy side, but do sometimes post dessert recipes which use sugar. You will find that I stay away from most processed foods and choose maple syrup and coconut sugar where possible! I also write interesting posts about travel, lifestyle, restaurants, food products, health and the environment as they relate to the plant-based life.
One of the things I love about this cinnamon rice pudding (vegan) recipe is that the ingredients are so simple. I had everything in the pantry already, and made a delicious dessert which we enjoyed without having to leave the house!
- Jasmine rice (or other medium-grain white rice)
- non-dairy milk (I used a combo of rice milk and coconut milk)
- real maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- salt (I used Himalayan salt)
How To Make Vegan Cinnamon Rice Pudding
Cooking rice pudding is soooo incredibly simple! Once you have the ingredients measured, you put everything except the vanilla into a large pot. Heat your stove to medium-high until the mixture boils, then reduce the temperature to low. This rice pudding needs to simmer uncovered for approximately 40-45 minutes, so you can get some other chores done while you wait for it to finish cooking.
Don’t forget to stir it occasionally!
At about the 40 minute mark, see how thick it is and how much longer you want it to cook. If there is a lot of liquid left, you can let it cook for another 5 minutes. If it is already thick enough, remove it from the heat.
Stir in the vanilla, then place the warm pudding into bowls or pretty serving glasses. I prefer to place mine into martini glasses as I think it looks so pretty! Then you can put your pudding into the fridge to cool and thicken further.
I like to refrigerate mine for at least 6 hours. You can top it with many different things, such as fruit or chocolate, but I prefer to top mine with walnuts and raisins! The walnuts add a pleasing crunch to the thick and soft rice pudding, while the raisins add a sweet and chewy texture which really heightens the whole dessert experience!
Here is a picture of my oldest daughter enjoying her first few bites of the cinnamon rice pudding (vegan) 🙂
Doesn’t that look delicious??? Homemade rice pudding is just the best!
Expert Tips for Making Cinnamon Rice Pudding (Vegan)
- You can use different medium-grain white rice varieties, but I recommend Jasmine rice for its naturally sweet flavour.
- Your cooking time will vary depending on how thick your non-dairy milk is. I used 2/3 rice milk and 1/3 coconut milk for a non-dairy milk of medium consistency.
- Use real maple syrup for the best results – artificial is not the same!
Looking for More Tasty, Healthier Plant-Based Recipes?
Try some of my favourites below:
- Smoky Maple Thyme Roasted Carrots With Tahini
- Roasted Baby Potatoes with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Spicy Chickpea and Sun-Dried Tomato Pizza
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Crispy Cocoa Hazelnut Balls
If you make this Vegan Cinnamon Rice Pudding don’t forget to rate it and let me know how it went in the comments below!
Cinnamon Rice Pudding (Vegan)
- Place rice, milk, syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt into a large pot.
- Heat on medium-high until boiling then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered on low for approximately 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once mixture has reached desired thickness, remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and transfer into serving glasses to cool.
- Once mixture is at room temperature, refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Serve with chopped walnuts, raisins, or other topping of choice.
NOTE: You will find affiliate links on this page.