Sweet Potato and Kale Patties are both vegan and gluten-free. The sweetness from the sweet potato compliments the earthy flavors from the kale and quinoa. Made with only the simplest ingredients, this recipe is perfect for any weeknight dinner or a Sunday picnic with the family.
Before we dive headfirst into these nutritious and DELISH patties, let me tell you about myself! I am Chhavi from yellowthyme.com. I am a mommy to a small little boy, an unapologetic foodie, self-taught and self-proclaimed Cook & Food Photographer. I write about some old, some new, little wacky, at times decadent and mostly healthy recipes! So let's jump into these Sweet Potato and Kale Patties! The first thing you should know...they are super delicious. They're like nutrient bombs! And the kids love them!
I want you to think veggie burger for a minute. Very similar, but this version is made with sweet potatoes! You can call them what you want though...patties, fritters or veggie burgers. Regardless, they are full of flavor and you're going to be blown away by the taste and how easy it is to make these!
Here's the ingredients you'll need for these Sweet Potato and Kale Patties:
- sweet potato
- olive oil
Combining kale, sweet potato, and quinoa is such a winning flavor combination. You've got the sweetness from the sweet potato that compliments the earthy flavors from the kale and quinoa extremely well. Really, it only takes 4 main ingredients to make these patties - kale, sweet potato, quinoa and olive oil. The rest of the ingredients are just flavorings that can be changed per your liking and preference.
How to Make Sweet Potato and Kale Patties
There are only two steps before you dive into the frying of the patties. So let's jump right into it, shall we?
First, you're going to cook the sweet potato. I have made this recipe with boiled sweet potato, baked and diced sweet potato and a whole roast sweet potato. You're going to get the best texture and taste from roasting a whole sweet potato with the skin on. Once the sweet potato is done, go ahead and mash it up in a bowl. But remove the peel after you mash them.
Next, you're going to cook the quinoa per the packet instructions. Leaving the quinoa a little el dente gives a nice texture to the patties.
In a bowl, combine the mashed sweet potato, cooked quinoa, chopped kale, dried thyme, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
Take about 2 Tablespoons of the mixture and form them into patties. Heat a non-stick pan and a teaspoon of oil. Cook the patties 2 minutes per side until they are crisp and golden brown. These patties have a wonderfully crisp and golden exterior with a super soft interior.
Every bite of these Sweet Potato and Kale Patties will hit your senses with a mix of sweet, salty and earthy flavors.
- Do you have an Instant Pot? You can cook the quinoa in your instant pot with 2 cups of water.
- Let's talk about switching up the ingredients. This recipe screams versatility! Thyme goes famously well with sweet potato and kale but you can give these patties an indian twist by adding a teaspoon of your favorite curry powder instead. You could even give these patties a Moroccan twist by flavoring them with some fennel seeds and serving it with a dollop of yogurt on top.
- This recipe is not only vegan but also gluten-free.
- These patties also freeze beautifully.
What to Pair with Sweet Potato and Kale Patties
Oh, the possibilities are endless!!! My son likes to gobble them up with ketchup (yeah, don't ask!) but I love to stuff these inside gluten-free pita bread or just a few leaves of fresh iceberg lettuce. You could even make burgers with these patties gluten-free buns.
If you loved these Sweet Potato and Kale Patties, give this recipe a star review! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #recipesworthrepeating and #yellowthyme and tagging me @yellowthyme and @recipesworthrepeating.
Sweet Potato and Kale Patties (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven for about 40 minutes. Peel and discard the skin. Mash the sweet potato.
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa as per packet instructions. I cooked it in my instant pot with 2 cups of water.
- In a bowl, add the mashed sweet potato, cooked quinoa, chopped kale, dried thyme, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Take about 2 Tablespoons of the mixture and form into patties.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Add a teaspoon of oil. Cook the patties 2 minutes per side until they are crisp and golden brown.
Looking for more Amazing Quinoa Recipes?
Moist dark chocolate cake made with cooked quinoa.This is a dairy free, gluten free ABSOLUTELY delicious chocolate cake.
Easy weeknight dinner recipe made in UNDER 30 minutes with both stove top and Instant Pot methods.
Super yummy salad with my favorite Balsamic vinegar and shallots dressing!
NOTE: You will find affiliate links on this page.