Easy smoker recipe with the simplest ingredients, these Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes are velvety in texture and rich in flavor! Seasoned with dill, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese this smoked potato recipe makes a delicious addition to any meal!
Go with me here for a minute because I want to paint you a picture. You’ve decided to break out your smoker and smoke a cut of meat. You’ve cleared your day and you’re going to be monitoring your smoker in preparation for a delicious meal. Your day is planned and your agenda is set. But what are you going to serve with your meal? Have you thought about what side dishes you’re serving with your smoked meat? And are you really going to heat up your house by making side dishes on the stove or in the oven?
Queue the Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes! Ah…what an amazing smoker recipe! Smoking potatoes is a great way to enjoy your side dish! Let’s talk this one through. Your smoker is already prepped. Your meat is already cooking in the smoker. There is PLENTY of room in that smoker…so why not smoke your side dishes? I mean, it’s a BRILLIANT concept…and super convenient, am I right? And one less mess!
For the love of amazing side dishes…guys!!! These smoked potatoes are just the best! Easy with no hassle, these Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes are velvety in texture, zesty in flavor with the fresh garlic, and full of subtle spice with the dried dill, oregano, basil and Italian seasoning. I love love LOVE these Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes! And they take literally 5 minutes to prep! Let me walk you through how SIMPLE this process is!
What Potatoes To Use
Gemstone potatoes are the BEST potatoes to use for this smoker recipe.
Gemstone Potatoes are a mixture of white, red and purple baby potatoes. They have a thin skin that has the most flavorful and fresh taste. When cooked, they are super velvety and tender.
Preparing The Marinade
You’ll marinate these Gemstone Potatoes in the most wonderful marinade. It’s CRAZY flavorful! This marinade is all about simple ingredients that I bet you already have in your kitchen! We’re talking:
- Olive oil
- Fresh garlic
- Dried dill
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Italian Seasoning
Want the secret to what makes this smoker recipe so phenomenal? GARLIC! Oh my goodness, the garlic! It’s the KEY ingredient. This galic based marinade gives these smoked potatoes the most delicate and nutty flavor! So, here’s how you’ll start. Take all the ingredients and put them in a gallon sized Ziplock bag. After you’ve washed your potatoes, toss them in the Ziplock bag, seal and shake. Make sure that marinade evenly coats all the potatoes. Place the bag in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
Tips For Preparing Your Smoker
First, I wrap my water bowl with aluminum foil before I add the water. By doing this you’re saving yourself a lot of mess. Less cleanup is always better! Then, I wrap my wood chunks in aluminum foil and poke holes in the aluminum foil with a knife. By poking holes in the smoke pouch it helps the smoke release, which results in more flavor. Preheat the smoker before placing the food in. It takes about 30 minutes to warm up the smoker to 225 degrees. Now, you’re ready to smoke your Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes!
How To Smoke Potatoes
While the smoker is heating up and after the potatoes are done marinating, you’re ready to prepare them for the smoker! Tear yourself off a big piece of aluminum foil and lay it out flat. Pour out the marinated smoker potatoes onto the large piece of aluminum foil. What you’re going to do is make a foil pocket but before we do that, let’s take a moment to look at how DELICIOUS these Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes look!!! You can literally see the flavor on these smoker potatoes! Ok, back to making that foil packet…
Make your foil packet by folding the aluminum foil in half. Place the smoker potatoes and 2 Tablespoons of water in the center of the aluminum foil and then pull over one side so you can fold the edges to seal. Then, you’re going to fold the remaining edges. Make sure you don’t seal the packet too tightly. You need some air in there!
Next, you’re ready to place the foil pocket on the smoker! Low and slow…that’s the secret to smoking food!
Let the Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes cook in your smoker for 2 hours. Once done, pull the foil packet from the smoker and slowly open. Pour the smoked potatoes into a bowl and you’re ready to serve!
Tips and Tricks For Smoked Potatoes
- By adding the 2 Tablespoons of water directly into the foil packet, you’re adding direct moisture to the potatoes. This helps the potatoes have more of a velvety texture.
- After 2 hours in the smoker, take a fork and gently press into a potato to ensure they are done.
- Top these smoked potatoes with fresh chopped parsley and fresh grated Parmesan cheese!
- Using a flavored olive oil really helps bring out the flavor in these Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes. If you don’t have a flavored olive oil, it’s ok…you can use regular olive oil.
- Let the potatoes marinate for at least 2 hours…but longer is better! Typically, I let these potatoes marinate overnight, up to 24 hours.
Other Smoked Foods You’ll Love
These smoked potatoes need companions! Although…I do find myself eating these one…by…one. But if you do want to pair these potatoes with some other amazing smoked foods, here’s some of my favorite smoker recipes I just know you’ll love!
- Smoked Brisket
- Smoked Cherry Tomatoes with Basil and Goat Cheese
- 16 Recipes That Will Convince You To Buy A Smoker
So tell me…did you not just LOVE my Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes recipe?! If you did I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and don’t forget to rate the recipe! Oh…and make sure you FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest because I’m CONSTANTLY posting yummy food that I know you will love!
Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes
- 1.5 lb bag of Gemstone Potatoes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, fresh grated
- fresh chopped parsley, (optional)
For the Marinade
- 2 Tablsepoons olive oil, (use a flavored olive oil like garlic or basil if you have it on hand. It enhances the flavor)
- 6 garlic cloves, freshly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees fahrenheit. This is the temperature you'll want to keep your smoker at for this recipe.
- Rinse the gemstone potatoes and pour into a large Ziplock gallon bag.
- Next, chop the fresh garlic cloves and pour into the Ziplock gallon bag.
- Add the olive oil, oregano, basil, dill, salt, Italian seasoning and ground pepper into the Ziplock bag and seal.
- Shake the bag so the potatoes are well coated. Place the Ziplock Bag in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to marinate.
- After the smoker potatoes have finished marinating, make yourself a foil pocket with aluminum foil. Place the smoker potatoes and 2 Tablespoons of water in the center of the aluminum foil and then fold in half. Pull over one side so you can fold the edges to seal. Then, you’re going to fold the remaining edges. Make sure you don’t seal the packet too tightly.
- Place foil packet containing you potatoes on a rack in your smoker.
- Smoke for 2 hours.
- Once done, remove the foil packet containing your Garlic and Herb Smoked Potatoes. Slowly open and pour into a bowl.
- Top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
NOTE: You will find affiliate links on this page.