Such an easy dinner recipe, this brown sugar garlic chicken is made with only 4 ingredients and will be ready and on the dinner table in 30 minutes. The sweet and savory sauce contains brown sugar, garlic, ground pepper, and olive oil. Juicy and delicious, this will easily become a family favorite! And, you can prepare it ahead of time!
Easy Sweet and Savory Chicken Recipe
I received a text from my next door neighbor the other night while making this Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken for dinner. She said her husband was outside on our side of the house and smelled the most wonderful aroma. He walked back into his house and asked her to text me and ask what I was making because the outside of our house smelled fantastic! I don’t know what the outside of our house smelled like but I can tell you my kitchen did smell fantastic.
I make a lot of chicken breast recipes, like this One Pan Garlic Baked Chicken with Mozzarella. I’m a sucker for easy baked chicken recipes. And this garlic chicken recipe is so JUICY, easy to make and only requires 4 ingredients. It’s perfect for those nights when you don’t have a lot of time to spend on making dinner. The prep is super fast and this recipe couldn’t be any easier. This is my go-to baked chicken recipe because it pairs with a lot of different foods. It’s also perfect for leftovers and meal prepping. And, it’s budget friendly.
Ingredients for Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – chicken breasts are lean and a great meat choice.
- Garlic Cloves – use 4 fresh garlic cloves and mince with a garlic press. When you mince fresh garlic, it produces more juice. The fresh juice form the garlic really brings out the flavor in this recipe.
- Brown Sugar – you’ll need 4 Tablespoons for this recipe. The brown sugar is the base for the rub and when it bakes, it liquifies and turns into a brown sugar glaze.
- Olive Oil – is used to saute the minced garlic. Then it’s paired with the brown sugar to make the rub. It also used to coat the bottom of the baking dish.
How To Make Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- First, coat an oven safe baking dish lightly with olive oil and set aside.
- In small skillet, sauté the fresh minced garlic with the oil until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the brown sugar.
- Add a bit of salt and pepper as desired and mix well until your mixture becomes a rub type consistency.
- Rub the brown sugar mixture onto each chicken breast, both front and back.
- Place the chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Once the chicken has finished cooking, let it rest on the stovetop for 5 minutes.
- Serve over a bed or rice, or with mashed potatoes and a side of creamed spinach.
How To Prep Chicken Breasts Ahead Of Time
You can prep this recipe up to 24 hours before baking. Here’s how you do it:
- Saute the garlic in olive oil and add the brown sugar. Once the brown sugar is in the form of a rub, let it completely cool.
- Once the rub has cooled, rub it onto each chicken breast. Place each chicken breast into a dish and cover with Saran wrap. Place the covered dish in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- When you’re ready to bake the chicken, coat the baking dish with olive oil and bake according to the instructions.
Freezing Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- If you freeze the prepped chicken, follow the steps above and place the raw rubbed chicken in a gallon Ziplock freezer bag.
- When you’re ready to bake the chicken, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
- When it’s time to cook, arrange the chicken breasts in an olive oil coated baking dish and cook according to the directions.
Expert Tips And Variations
- Not a fan of chicken breasts? Use boneless skinless chicken thighs. I’ve made this recipe using drumsticks too and it’s delish.
- The sweet garlic sauce reminds me of a chinese dish. It pairs amazingly well with steamed broccoli, rice or over a bed of noodles.
- Make sure to coat the bottom of the baking dish with olive oil to avoid the sauce from sticking. It makes for an easier clean up.
- Once the chicken is done baking, drizzle the brown sugar glaze onto the chicken.
Looking For More Baked Chicken Recipes?
- Baked Chicken Capri
- Baked Chicken with Dijon Lime Sauce
- Bacon Wrapped Veggie Stuffed Chicken
- Lemon Thyme Chicken with Garlic and Rosemary
- Lemon Butter Chicken
Craving more? FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. I’m always posting recipes that I know you will love. If you try this recipe, use the hashtag #recipesworthrepeating on INSTAGRAM so I can see how your chicken turned out!
Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a baking dish with olive oil.
- In small skillet, sauté the minced garlic with the olive oil until tender. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Place the chicken breasts in a prepared baking dish and coat with the garlic and brown sugar mixture. NOTE: Your brown sugar mixture should be the consistency of a rub and not a liquid.
- Cook uncovered for about 30 minutes until the chicken is done.
- Drizzle the brown sugar glaze onto each piece of chicken and serve.