This moisture in this Zucchini Carrot Bread is just unbelievable. Using an apple, zucchini, carrots, and olive oil to make the perfect loaf of sweet bread and then topping it with cream cheese frosting is a small piece of Heaven! Incredibly moist and flavorful, you’ll love every bite!
The BEST Zucchini Carrot Bread
Think zucchini bread, but more flavorful. More moist. More cake like!
Moisture like never before, this zucchini carrot bread just blows me away. It’s so moist…like crazy good moist! And that’s what happens when you combine olive oil, zucchini, apple, and carrots in a bread loaf recipe. If you like zucchini bread recipe, you’re going to love this version. It seriously does taste like cake. Oh, and did I mention that it’s gluten free? No one would EVER know.
Let me introduce you to the key players:
- Carrots – key ingredient. Don’t peel the carrots; that’s where the nutrition is. The carrots add taste and moisture to the bread. Leave the peeling on and shred with a hand held grater.
- Zucchini – adds a lot of moisture to this recipe. Again, leave the peeling on and shred with a grater.
- Apple – provides natural moisture and sweetness to this bread recipe. Use a honeycrisp or pink lady apple. The juicier the apple, the better. Peel the apple and shred using a hand held grater.
- Eggs – used as a binding agent.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – contributes to moisture and helps make the loaf more dense.
- Maple Syrup – we’re skipping the sugar and going with a natural sweetener.
- Vanilla extract – flavor enhancer.
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour – main ingredient and foundation of this recipe.
- Sorghum Flour – naturally gluten free and provides a depth of flavor. You can also use ground millet flour.
- Oat Flour – gluten free and provides an “oat” taste.
- Ground Cinnamon and Nutmeg – spices that provide flavor.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda – a binding and rising agent.
- Salt – flavor enhancer.
How To Make Zucchini Carrot Bread
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 2 eggs. Stir in the olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the flour mixture into the bowl of wet ingredients and stir until everything is combined just enough.
- Let the batter rest for 10 minutes. This process helps with the texture of the bread. No one wants a chewy texture.
- Fold in the shredded carrots, zucchini, and apple and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Once done, let the loaf cake cool completely.
- Once the bread has completely cooled, top it with frosting and slice.
Is Zucchini Bread Healthy?
Zucchini bread is typically healthy, but this version with the fresh carrots, apples, and zucchini is extremely healthy! Olive oil not only provides extra moisture, but also provides nutritional value. By leaving the peelings on the carrots and zucchini, you’re getting more vitamins and minerals. And no sugar. This is a zucchini bread made without any sugar. Using an all natural organic maple syrup pairs perfectly with the natural sugars in the apple and carrots.
How To Make Frosting
The following are tried and true frosting and glaze recipes that pair perfectly with this bread:
You can also buy a store bought frosting, as well.
How To Freeze Zucchini Bread
You have a couple of options here for freezing:
- Freezing Cooked Loaf – After the loaf of bread is done cooking and completely cooled (without the frosting), wrap the loaf tightly in saran wrap. From there, wrap it with aluminum foil. This ensures the loaf is tightly wrapped. Keep in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- How To Thaw Frozen Zucchini Bread – To thaw, remove the frozen loaf of bread and sit on the counter. After 3-4 hours, remove the saran wrap and aluminum foil and allow to finish thawing.
Variations and Expert Tips
- KitchenAid Mixer – if you have a KitchenAid mixer, use the white paddle attachment. It’s good for mixing heavier batters and doesn’t introduce unnecessary air.
- Add Nuts – if you like a little crunch, add a 1/2 of a cup of walnuts or pecans.
- Consistency – the batter will be thick, so don’t be surprised when pouring it into the loaf pan.
- Other Toppings – this Zucchini Carrot Bread really doesn’t need frosting. It tastes amazing plain. You can always skip the frosting and add sifted powdered sugar.
- Cake and Muffins – if you’re not feeling a bread loaf, this recipe makes some amazing muffins and even a sheet cake.
Stay Updated! Get all the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox by signing up to receive my weekly email for the latest and greatest recipes!
Zucchini Carrot Bread
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup Gluten Free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Sorghum flour, ground
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 3/4 cup grated zucchini
- 1 medium fuji apple, peeled and grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs together. Stir in olive oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl, mix the flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Pour flour mixture into the bowl of wet ingredients and stir until everything is combined just enough.
- Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- If you have a silipat loaf pan, I highly recommend using it for this recipe. If not, you an use a 9x5 inch loaf pan. If using a traditional metal loaf pan, spray it generously with cooking spray.
- Going back to your batter mixture, fold in the carrots, zucchini and apple.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Back for 55 minutes.
- Once done, let the loaf cake cool completely, about 50 minutes before removing it from the pan.
- Top with your favorite cream cheese frosting. Store in the refrigerator.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in April 2016, but was re-published with updated step-by-step instructions, pictures, and tips in October 2019.