This savory Slow Cooker Brisket is covered in a dry rub that amplifies the flavor. Juicy and fall-apart tender, this easy slow cooker recipe is a crowd favorite!
I've never really thought about cooking a brisket in a slow cooker. I was always taught to smoke your brisket, but then one day I saw all these recipes for slow cooker brisket and I thought to myself...why not? Slow cooking is a lifesaver when it comes to saving time and making easy dinners.
So, I did.
And it was WONDERFUL!
So next time you plan to slow cook a chicken or a pot roast, try something different and slow cook a brisket. You'll be amazed at the taste and how easy it is.
Best Brisket Rub
The first time I made this recipe was around the holiday season. I wanted to create a brisket rub with some "spice" to it. Not "hot and spicy" type of spice, but fall and winter types of spice. I came up with this brisket dry rub.
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Mustard
Sounds deliciously festive, right? It's a perfect fall dinner recipe that's easy to make because you literally set it and forget about it for 6-8 hours in the slow cooker. Here is a full list of ingredients for this easy beef brisket slow cooker recipe.
- brown sugar
- ground mustard
- ground cinnamon
- ground ginger
- ground cloves
- beef brisket, trimmed
- beef stock
- apple cider vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- garlic cloves
- bay leaves
- unsalted butter
How to Cook Brisket in a Slow Cooker
Who's ready to jump into making this easy dinner? Here's what you do:
- First, combine the salt, pepper, brown sugar, ground mustard, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground clove in a small bowl.
- Rub the brisket dry rub over all sides of brisket.
- Once the rub has been spread evenly, place the brisket in the slow cooker.
- Next, add the beef stock, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, onions, garlic cloves, and bay leaves to the slow cooker.
- Then, arrange the cabbage halves over the top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Once the beef brisket is tender and falling apart. You'll know it's done when you insert a fork and it easily breaks apart.
- Once the beef is done, transfer it to a cutting board.
Cutting Against the Grain
When cutting any type of meat, always cut against the grain. It's important to break those muscle fibers so the meat becomes easier to chew. When the brisket is done, it's going to be super crazy tender and falling apart. When you go to cut against the grain, it should be be easy.
Don't cook the carrots in the slow cooker with the brisket. When the beef brisket is done, pull out a separate pan and steam the carrots with the melted butter and remaining salt and pepper until tender. Serve with the onions, cabbage, and carrots that cooked in the slow cooker. Top it off with the au jus from the slow cooker.
What Should I Serve with Beef Brisket?
- Slow Cooker Herb Roasted Garlic Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Pinto Beans
- Autumn Spiced Sweet Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Ono Rice
Remember to subscribe to the Recipes Worth Repeating newsletter to receive new recipe notifications delivered to your inbox! Follow Recipes Worth Repeating on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest updates, recipes and content!
Slow Cooker Brisket
- 2 lb Beef Brisket, trimmed
- 1 ¾ tsp salt, divided
- ¾ tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Smoked Brisket Rub Instructions
- Combine 1 ½ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoons pepper, 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons ground mustard, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger and ¼ teaspoon ground cloves in a small bowl. Rub mixture over all sides of brisket. Once rub has been spread, place the brisket in the slow cooker.
- Rub mixture over all sides of brisket. Once rub has been spread, place the brisket in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Brisket Instructions
- Add the beef stock, 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 2 medium onions, 4 garlic cloves, and 2 bay leaves to the slow cooker.
- Arrange cabbage halves over top of the brisket. Cook on low for 8 hours or until beef is very tender. Once the beef is done, transfer beef to a cutting board, discarding bay leaves.
- In a separate pan, add the unsalted butter. Add the chopped carrots and steam with the remaining salt and pepper until tender.
- Serve the brisket with the cooked onions, cabbage, carrots, pouring the au jus on top.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in August 2015, but was re-published with updated step-by-step instructions, pictures, and tips in August 2019.