Grilled Green Beans are the easiest, most delicious side dish for any BBQ! Crispy and flavorful, these green beans are marinated in olive oil, lemon, and garlic and topped with fresh grated Parmesan cheese. They are the veggie of the summer and a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
Grilled Green Beans
When I can make a recipe that doesn't require heating up my house by turning on the oven in the middle of summer, it literally makes my day. And that's what these grilled green beans offer. I cook them on the grill! Outside!!
This grilled green beans recipe is absolutely delicious and pairs so well with any meat you make on the grill, like this Maple-Chipotle Grilled Salmon and my Greek Marinated Chicken. The marinade is made fresh and filled with a zesty lemon taste and a hint of garlic. When you grill these fresh green beans in this olive oil based marinade, you'll never want to make green beans any other way! This is the best green bean recipe.
You're probably like, wait...so, how do you grill green beans? Can you grill green beans? Absolutely!
Let's walk you through each step so you can see how easy it is to make this fresh green bean recipe.
Simple ingredients. I bet you already have these in your kitchen. Here are the key players:
- 8 oz green beans
- Fresh lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Fresh Parmesan cheese
How to Grill Green Beans
Fresh green beans on the grill are crazy wonderful flavorful and are about to become your new favorite way to prepare this vegetable Let me walk you through how to cook green beans on the grill step-by-step:
- First, cut the ends off your green beans and wash thoroughly.
- Grab a gallon size Ziplock baggie and add the fresh green beans, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Close the baggie and shake until well mixed. Let the flavors marinate in the baggie for about 10 minutes.
- Start your grill and let it get hot. Grab a grill basket and pour the marinated green beans into the basket and place on the grill. Close the lid and let these little green beauties cook.
- After bout 4-5 minutes, turn green beans with a spatula. You'll want to stir frequently until they are start to char, about 10-15 minutes.
- When done, pour the grilled green beans into a bowl and top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
- I'm a lover of all things lemon, so I like to squeeze fresh lemon juice on my freshly grilled green beans.
Cooking green beans on the grill is so convenient and a huge time saver if you're already grilling meat. Less mess and a cool kitchen..sounds like the perfect meal for any hot summer day!
- Grilling Green Beans in Foil Packets - If you don't have a grill basket, you can grill green beans in foil. Making grilled green beans in foil is so easy. You'll take a large piece of aluminum foil, pour in the marinated green beans, and seal the foil into pockets. Grill for about 15-20 minutes and then remove the foil pockets from the grill. The green beans won't have that charred look and taste, but the flavor is still amazing using this cooking method. If you like tender beans, this method is for you!
- Blanching Green Beans - There's no need for blanching green beans before marinating them, but if you want a more tender green bean as opposed to crunchy, grab a large skillet and fill with water. Place the fresh green beans in the water and turn the stove to high. Bring to a slow boil for about 3-4 minutes. Drain the water and then add the blanched green beans to a Ziplock baggie along with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Close the baggie and shake until well mixed. Let the flavors marinate in the baggie for about 10 minutes. Then grill according to the instructions above.
- Green Bean Nutrition - Are green beans nutritious? You better believe they are! Green beans are super nutritious. They are full of calcium, magnesium, vitamin k, and iron just to name a few. Green beans are also low in calories. There are 35 calories in 1 cup of green beans. You also need green beans in your diet to promote healthy bones, skin, and hair.
More Fresh Green Bean Recipes
Hopefully now you feel more comfortable and know how to make green beans on the grill. Cooking fresh green beans is super versatile, though. If you're looking for other green bean recipes, you're going to love these:
- Roasted Parmesan Green Beans - these baked green beans are deliciously coated with balsamic vinegar for a delicious depth of flavor.
- Hickory Smoked Green Beans - smoked vegetables are to die for and one of my favorite ways to make green beans is to smoke them on the smoker. Smoker recipes are amazing and these smoked green beans are full of flavor. The taste is full of hickory smoke and bacon.
Remember to subscribe to the Recipes Worth Repeating newsletter to receive new recipe notifications delivered to your inbox! Follow Recipes Worth Repeating on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest updates, recipes and content!
Grilled Green Beans
- 8 oz fresh green beans, trimmed, cut, and washed
- 1 Tablespoon lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Cut the ends off your fresh green beans and wash thoroughly.
- Mix all ingredients, except the fresh grated Parmesan cheese, in a large Ziploc bag. Let flavors marinate for 10 minutes or so.
- Light the grill. Add the marinated green beans to the grill basket and place on the grill. Close the grill and let them cook.
- Turn the green beans frequently with a spatula until they begin to crisp (about 10 minutes).
- Remove the green beans from the heat, pour into a bowl and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in July 2014, but was re-published with updated step-by-step instructions, pictures, and tips in July 2019.