This Greek Marinated Chicken is hands down the most flavorful and juiciest chicken recipe I’ve ever tasted! Full of Greek flavors like oregano, garlic, parsley and lemon, this dish screams flavor! The secret to this chicken dish is in the marinade! Only 5 minutes to prep!
Hands down people…HANDS DOWN the most delicious chicken recipe I’ve made. So flavorful. So juicy. Full of protein…even the marinade is full of protein! You’ve got to love that! I have now labeled this my absolute favorite grilled chicken recipe and that’s a big statement because I have some amazing chicken recipes here at Recipes Worth Repeating!
Why This Recipe:
- Easy! – We all need easy in our life and this recipe is hands down super easy to prep and make. It only takes 5 minutes to whip up the marinade.
- Marinade – The secret to this recipe is the marinade. The marinade is full of flavor and made with a Greek yogurt base. Super healthy and full of protein. The marinade base calls for plain Greek yogurt. What an AMAZING base! It’s provides a creamy coating to the chicken which is super healthy! Yeah for Greek Yogurt!
- Chicken – Thighs, drumsticks or breasts…or all 3! Yep – you can use any kind of chicken you want!
- Simple ingredients – we’re talking chicken, garlic, greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, parsley, oregano, garlic, olive and salt. All super simple and all healthy!
Making Greek Marinated Chicken Is Super Easy – Here’s How To Do It:
Did I mention how EASY this recipe is to prep? Let me show you what I mean. You’re going to take every ingredient (except the chicken)….the garlic, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, parsley, oregano, garlic, olive and salt and mix them well in a big bowl.
Next, you’re going to take the chicken and put it in a large gallon Ziplock bag. Pour the Greek marinade into the Ziplock bag. Just look at that marinade! Thick and full of amazing flavor! Make sure you get ALL the marinade into the baggie.
Close the Ziplock baggie and move the chicken around so that each piece is well saturated with the marinade. Toss the Ziplock baggie into the refrigerator and let it marinate.
Once the chicken is done marinating, take the raw Greek Marinated Chicken out of the Ziplock baggie and place on a plate. Look how coated this chicken is after it has been marinated! Now it’s time to go start your grill! Light it up and let it get hot!
Once the grill is good and hot, place each piece of chicken on the grill. Let it sit on one side for a good 3-5 minutes before flipping it over.
When you flip the chicken over, you’ll see those gorgeous grill marks on each piece. FLAVOR I tell you…FULL of amazing flavor!
Your chicken needs to get to 165 degrees Fahrenheit before you pull it off the grill. Once your chicken is done, pull it off the grill and it’s ready to serve. Look at this yumminess! Is your mouth watering yet…because it should be!
Tips And Tricks To Making Greek Marinated Chicken:
- I make this Greek Marinated Chicken with chicken thighs and drumsticks. You can use chicken breasts if you want, but I find using boneless skinless chicken thighs and drumsticks to be the best because they provide so much flavor. The dark meat has more fat than the breast so when I’m wanting” melt in your mouth” chicken, I go for the dark meat. Also, it’s easy to tell on the chicken legs when the chicken is done because the meat will slightly pull back from the bone! Again…there’s that word EASY!
- I always top my grilled Greek Marinated Chicken with fresh lemon zest. It helps intensify the flavor in every bite and let me tell you, every bite is FULL of garlic and just the right amount of lemon flavor. It’s just beyond delicious!
- I’m a big believer is using a flavored olive oil. Any kind of flavored olive oil is great for this recipe! I’ve used a lemon based olive oil, rosemary based olive oil and garlic based olive oil. The flavor in the olive oil really makes the flavor “pop” when it’s going through the marination time. SO DELISH!
- For best results flavor wise with this Greek Marinated Chicken recipe, you will want to marinate the chicken overnight. I simply combine all the ingredients into a big ziplock size freezer bag, add my chicken pieces and move the chicken around in the marinade until all pieces of chicken are well coated. I let that bag sit in the refrigerator overnight. If you don’t have that kind of time, I recommend letting the chicken marinate for at least 1 hour.
- This Greek Marinated Chicken is gluten free and can be baked in the oven or grilled. Personally, I like this one on the grill but you do have that choice to bake it in the oven!
Other Foods You Can Grill
That’s right…it’s summer! Here in Arizona, it’s summer all the time! I mean seriously… it’s hot 9 months out of the year and ya’ll let me tell you…I grill year round! Here’s some of my favorite grilled recipes at Recipes Worth Repeating:
- BBQ Grilled Chicken Wings
- 10 Garlic Clove Marinated Grilled Filet
- Marinated Flank Steak
- Grilled Corn with Fresh Lime and Cotija Cheese
- Grilled Green Beans
Now…let’s get to grilling!! Happy eats, friends!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!Make sure to FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest because ya’ll… I’m CONSTANTLY posting yummy food that I know you will love! Don’t miss out on the yumminess!
This Greek Marinated Chicken is EASY and hands down the most flavorful and juiciest chicken recipe I've ever tasted! Only 5 minutes to prep! Full of Greek flavors like oregano, garlic, parsley and lemon, this dish screams flavor! The secret to this chicken dish is in the marinade!
- 1 5.3 ounce tub of plain Greek Yogurt, (I use Chobani)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (if you have a flavored olive oil, use it!)
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 lemon, (juice and zest)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 4 lbs boneless and skinless chicken thighs and drumsticks
To make the marinade, combine the yogurt, olive oil, minced garlic, oregano, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir well.
Use a cheese grater or zester to scrape a thin layer of lemon zest from half the lemon. Add lemon zest to the bowl of marinade ingredients.
Grab a gallon sized Ziplock bag and add the chicken pieces and marinade to the bag. Move the chicken around to ensure each piece is well coated.
Refrigerate the the chicken in the marinade for at least 1 hour. I like to marinate mine overnight! The longer the marinade, the more flavorful!
After marinating, you can choose to grill the chicken or bake in the oven. If you bake in the oven, preheat oven to 375 and bake for about 40 to 60 minutes to ensure done.
If you choose to grill the chicken, grill for a total of 35 - 40 minutes or until the juices run clear and the chicken is done all the way through.
Top with fresh grated lemon zest and serve.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on July 18, 2017, but was republished with an updated step-by-step instructions, pictures and tips in May of 2018.