I am so excited about this recipe I found!! I am always looking for sauces that are gluten free and dairy free, but I really struggle to find any that taste good! I finally found one I was interested in trying and it’s really yummy!!
I found it in Cooking Light and they describe it as , “the classic Greek lemon-egg soup, avgolemono.” The chef stated that this sauce could be put on everything…chicken, fish, mashed potatoes, vegetables, etc. I paired our chicken meal with mashed new red potatoes and steamed broccoli and it was fabulous!
This dish and the sauce is gluten free (if you use a Gluten Free chicken stock) and dairy free. This was a fairly easy dish to make and I will definitely make it again!
Ingredients for Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Pepper seasoning
- Salt and pepper (for taste)
- 2 cups of unsalted chicken stock
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of grated lemon zest
- Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place your chicken breasts in a 9×13 glass Pyrex dish.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken for taste.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Lemon Pepper seasoning evenly across the 4 pieces of chicken.
- Bake Chicken for 40 to 45 minutes until done and no longer pink.
- About 20 minutes into your chicken baking, you are ready to start making the Lemon Sauce.
- Heat the chicken stock over medium-high heat in a heavy medium saucepan until tiny bubbles form around the edge. Do Not Boil.
- Combine the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk until the eggs are frothy and lighter in color.
- Ladle about a cup of the hot chicken stock into the egg mixture 1/4 cup at a time, while stirring constantly (but not too vigorously) with a whisk.
- Lower the heat on the remaining chicken stock to as low as possible. Wait for 2 minutes, and then add the egg, lemon and stock mixture back to the pot, stirring to combine.
- Warm the sauce gently until it coats a spoon.
- Whisk in the olive oil to finish.
- When the chicken is done cooking, pour the desired amount of lemon sauce on top of the chicken and serve.
- Store remaining lemon sauce in the refrigerator for future use. Use within 3 days.