A classic Indian dish with a twist! This Creamy Chicken Curry recipe is made in one pan with tender chicken in a creamy curry sauce cooked on top of fresh asparagus. Topped with melted freshly grated cheese and served over basmati rice, this rich and saucy dinner is "no-hassle" and full of flavor.
Chicken curry is a popular recipe that so many people love. The traditional chicken curry recipe is typically made with a coconut based sauce that is full of amazingly flavorful spices, but this recipe is a little different. This irresistible sauce has a curry cream of chicken base topped with melted cheese. It's the perfect dish for an easy weeknight dinner served on top of baked asparagus alongside a serving of basmati rice.
What is in Chicken Curry
This is not your traditional chicken curry recipe. This recipe is made up of the following:
- Chicken breasts - use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders. Cut the raw chicken into bite-sized cubes.
- Asparagus - the chicken and curry sauce is going to bake on top of a bed of fresh asparagus spears.
- Olive oil - used for sauteing the chicken breast cubes.
- Curry powder, salt, and pepper - spices that work together to provide that incredible curry flavor.
- Cream of chicken soup and mayonnaise - these provide a creamy base to this irresistible sauce. If you're gluten free, use Pacific Organic Cream of Chicken Soup. Gluten free foods have come a long way in flavor and this brand is absolutely delish!
- Lemon juice - adds a subtle "pop" of fresh flavor.
- Sharp cheddar cheese - makes the sauce enticingly rich and creamy. Make sure you use sharp cheddar cheese, and not a mild or medium. Sharp cheddar cheese is aged for 6-9 months and provides this dish a tangy taste that pairs well with the curry powder.
How to Make Curry Chicken
- Cut the ends off the asparagus and place in a 9x13 oven safe dish.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in the olive oil until they are lightly browned. Note that the chicken will not be done at this point and that is ok.
- Arrange the chicken over the asparagus spears.
- In a bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder, and pepper.
- Slowly pour the creamy curry sauce over the chicken breast cubes and asparagus spears. Spread evenly so the sauce covers the chicken.
- Cover the pyrex dish with aluminum foil and place in a preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- While the curry chicken dish is cooking in the oven, grate a fresh block of sharp cheddar cheese place on top of the cooked curry chicken dish.
- Once done and out of the oven, sprinkle the sharp cheddar cheese evenly on top of the baked curry chicken dish.
- Place the dish back into the oven at 350 uncovered and let the cheese melt, about 5 minutes.
- Once the cheese has melted, remove from the oven and top with fresh parsley. You are ready to serve.
- You guessed it....the perfect paring to this recipe is RICE! Not just any rice though...basmati rice. Basmati rice is very similar to Jasmine rice, but it's a slightly smaller grain and it has a subtle nutty taste. It's my absolute favorite type of rice to eat with this dish because it soaks up the cheesy curry sauce better than any other type of rice. If you want to learn how to cook Basmati rice in the Instant Pot, check it out here How to Make the Best Instant Pot Rice.
- I love pairing a salad with this dish. This Romaine Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing is a flavorful companion and adds a robust flavor to every bite.
Remember to subscribe to the Recipes Worth Repeating newsletter to receive new recipe notifications delivered to your inbox! Follow Recipes Worth Repeating on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest updates, recipes and content!
Creamy Chicken Curry
- 1 lb asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, (Use a gluten free brand if you are gluten free)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. After trimming the ends off the asparagus, place asparagus in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cut the raw chicken breasts into bite size chunks. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in oil on both sides, 3-4 minutes each side. Note - your chicken will not be cooked all the way through at this point.
- Arrange chicken over asparagus.
- In a bowl, combine soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and curry powder; pour over chicken.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Pull the chicken dish out of the oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Place the dish back into the oven until the cheese has melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in April 2012, but was re-published with updated step-by-step instructions, pictures, and tips in August 2019.