This Crockpot Salsa Chicken recipe is a family go-to favorite that requires only 4 ingredients. You just need to dump the ingredients into a crockpot and then set it and forget it.
Easy and Delicious Crockpot Salsa Chicken
There are some days where I just need easy. Well, let’s be honest…there are some weeks when I need easy! Easy homework load for the kids, easy activity load for the kids, easy work day for me and the hubby, and especially an easy dinner on the table. So if you’re looking for an easy crockpot meal, I have you covered with this recipe. Crockpot chicken tacos…what a wonderful delicious dinner!
You just can’t have enough crockpot recipes. If you’ve tried my Pesto Chicken Thighs or my Italian Marinara with Meatballs, then you know how amazingly flavorful my crockpot recipes are. I don’t know what I would do without my crockpot. I actually have 2 and I’m thinking about buying another one…no judging, please!
Because we all have those days (ok weeks) that tend to be busy and let’s be honest…you just don’t have time (or want) to cook, you need a simple recipe like this one in your dinner rotation.
First Stop – Simple Ingredients
You are only 4 ingredients away from having the juiciest, most delicious chicken at your fingertips.
- Chicken Breasts – you only need 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts.
- Salsa – Use your favorite brand of salsa. Any heat level is fine. I use a medium Pace salsa because it has such an amazing flavor.
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning – I’m a McCormick girl.
- Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup – Pacific makes a REALLY good gluten free condensed soup. If you’re not gluten free, Campbell’s is great.
How to Make Crockpot Salsa Chicken
There’s nothing fancy about this recipe. It’s just a really, really delicious and simple chicken recipe you’re going to fall in love with. And here’s how you make it. Place the chicken breasts, taco seasoning, salsa, and cream of mushroom in a crockpot. Stir well until all ingredients are combined. Place the lid on the crockpot and set to low for 6 hours.
Once the chicken is finished cooking, it should look like this below. Just look at all that flavor! That’s 6 hours of slow cooked deliciousness right there. Now it’s time to shred the chicken.
There is more than 1 way to skin a cat and there is more than 1 way to shred cooked chicken. I simply take 2 forks and start pulling the chicken apart. The chicken should easily shred with minimal effort. From there, I take about 1 cup of the sauce leftover from the crockpot and mix it into the shredded chicken.
You’re left with the most flavorful, juicy, and mouthwatering delicious shredded chicken.
Is Chicken Salsa Healthy?
Yes! This chicken is not only tender and juicy, it’s also low in calories, low fat, and super high in protein. It’s perfect if you keep track of your macronutrients. It’s also gluten free!
Can You Freeze Salsa Chicken?
Yep! After the chicken is cooked and cooled, grab a gallon Ziplock bag and place the shredded chicken into the bag. Seal and lay flat in the freezer. When you are ready to eat the chicken, either thaw it in lukewarm temperature water or lay out in the refrigerator to thaw. Once thawed, place in an oven safe container and warm on 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until warm. Or, place the chicken in a microwave safe dish and warm up for 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute. Use the frozen chicken within 3-4 months of the freeze date.
- You can shred your chicken with a handheld mixer or with 2 forks.
- If you’re like me and like to buy your taco seasoning in bulk, 1 packet of taco seasoning is equal to 1/4 cup.
- Want to spice this recipe up a little bit? Add in fresh chopped jalapenos or serrano peppers to the crockpot and let them slow cook with the chicken.
- Want to add in some additional flavors? Flavored salsa are AMAZING in this recipe! Try this Peach Salsa or this Cherry Salsa!
What to Serve with Crockpot Salsa Chicken
Obviously, tacos are my go to for this recipe. Salsa chicken makes the most mouthwatering tacos! Imagine how good these crockpot chicken tacos taste because of the juicy chicken, velvery Cotija cheese, tangy cilantro, and zippy lime on a warm tortilla. Sounds amazing, right?
I like to top my tacos with charred corn, green chilis, fresh jalapenos, and plump cherry tomatoes. Not feeling tacos? I also eat this salsa chicken on sandwiches or as a main dish with a salad.
No matter how you eat it, this Salsa Chicken is out of this world flavorful and delicious! Simply put, it’s a recipe that will be repeated over and over again. Guaranteed!
Looking for More Crockpot Recipes?
- Crockpot Roasted Garlic Herb Chicken
- Shredded French Dip Sandwiches
- St. Louis Style Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
Remember to subscribe to the Recipes Worth Repeating newsletter to receive new recipe notifications delivered to your inbox! Follow Recipes Worth Repeating on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest updates, recipes and content!
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 can cream of mushroom condensed soup
- In a crockpot, add 4 chicken breasts, salsa, cream of mushroom, and taco seasoning. Stir well until all ingredients are combined.
- Cover and set crockpot on low and cook for 6 hours.
- Once done, place the cooked chicken in a large bowl and shred. Add 1 cup of the sauce from the crockpot to the shredded chicken and stir.
- Serve immediately.
- 1 packet of taco seasoning is equal to 1/4 cup.
- Use 2 forks or a handheld beater to shred the chicken.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in April 2012, but was re-published with updated step-by-step instructions, pictures, and tips in July 2019.