This Creamy White Bean Tomato Soup is the perfect comfort food you can enjoy without feeling guilty. Thickened with blended white beans, this healthy soup topped with fresh basil is rich in flavor and oh so satisfying. And, it’s done and ready to eat in 30 minutes!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of KitchenAid. All opinions are my own.
Creamy, rich, and delicious, this tomato soup recipe is super easy to make and the perfect comfort food for these cold months ahead. Making this homemade tomato soup is actually really easy and requires only a few ingredients. And, it’s both gluten free and dairy free. That’s right…no flour and no dairy.
Deceiving, I know, right? The creaminess comes from the blending of the white beans and chicken broth. Simple ingredients and the right equipment is all you need to make this scrumptious soup. You need a blender for this recipe because we are going to puree the tomatoes, white beans, and herbs.
In collaboration with KitchenAid, I’m testing the K400 blender. The base is sturdy and the blender is light and easy to attach. So many blenders overcomplicate things with all the features, but not this one. This one is easy to use and intuitive. And it purees better than my food processor!
KitchenAid K400 Blender
Let’s talk a little bit about this blender because let me tell you I’m loving it! I typically use my blender for smoothies, but I love pulling out my blender to puree soups. I’ve used a lot of blenders in the past and this one is by far the most powerful and easy to use. The pitcher is plastic, which is great because my kids make their own slushies and smoothies. Since the pitcher is light in weight, they can easily handle it. If they drop it, I’m not dealing with broken glass everywhere. I’m loving the 3 presets for ice crush, smoothies, and icy drinks. Oh – and it’s not overly loud.
If you’re looking for a good quality and easy to use blender, check out the K400 blender here.
Ingredients You’ll Need
The base of this soup is made with juicy tomatoes and chicken broth, plus the addition of some amazing herbs and spices – and then we add the white beans and more broth, puree it, simmer it all up in the pot and top with butter. Get ready for a deliciously comforting soup!
Here’s the ingredients you’ll need:
- Fresh Tomatoes – cut up 3 plump and juicy red tomatoes on the vine.
- Petite Diced Tomatoes – add in 1 can of petite diced tomatoes.
- White Beans – also known as Cannellini beans, this is the key ingredient to making this soup creamy.
- Chicken Broth – the base of the soup.
- Olive Oil – used to saute the onion and garlic.
- Onion and Garlic – adds a ton of flavor to the soup.
- Dried Basil, oregano, salt, ground pepper – more flavor.
- Butter – an optional ingredient used in the last step to contribute to the creamy texture.
How To Make Tomato Soup
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium. Add the chopped onions and garlic and saute for 1 minute, until soft.
- Dice the fresh tomatoes and add to a large pan. Add the can of diced tomatoes, dried basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer tomato mixture to your blender. Add the white beans and chicken broth.
- The goal here is to puree. If you’re using the KitchenAid K400 blender, set it to the smoothie setting. This setting works perfect for this recipe because it cycles through 3 different speeds which contributes to the creamy consistency of the soup.
- Once well blended, return the mixture to a large saucepan. Add the butter and simmer for 5 minutes, covered. Once done, add the soup to a bowl and top with fresh basil.
Tips And Variations
- Add Parmesan cheese – If your not dairy free, add 1/2 cup of fresh Parmesan cheese in the last step when you add the butter. The cheese contributes a lot to the creamy texture.
- Perfect pairings – This tomato and white bean soup is amazing with a grilled cheese sandwich or any toasted bread. Especially, toasted cheesy bread!
- Can tomato soup be frozen? Yes! Just let is cool and store it in a freezer safe container or a gallon size ziplock bag. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it in the refrigerator and then reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
- Toppings – I love topping this soup with raw pumpkin seeds, sunflower kernels, fresh basil, or sour cream.
More Easy Soup Recipes
I don’t know about you, but I can eat soup all year long! Here are some other soups you’ll love:
- Autumn Vegetable Soup
- Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Poor Man’s Soup
Stay Updated! Get all the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox by signing up to receive my weekly email for the latest and greatest recipes!
This Creamy White Bean Tomato Soup is the perfect comfort food you can enjoy without feeling guilty. Thickened with blended white beans, this healthy soup topped with fresh basil is rich in flavor and oh so satisfying. And, it's done and ready to eat in 30 minutes!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 fresh tomatoes, on vine
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth,
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon butter, salted
Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium. Add onion and garlic and saute for 1 minute, until soft.
Add fresh and canned tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer tomato mixture to a blender. Add beans and chicken broth.
- Puree for 2 minutes. Once well blended, return mixture to the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes, covered.
Add in the butter and Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Serve immediately.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in November 2017, but was re-published with updated step-by-step instructions, pictures, and tips in October 2019.