Pumpkin gelato is a melt in your mouth dessert that celebrates the season of all things pumpkin! And it's not just a summertime treats. This is the perfect after dinner sweet treat you need to try as we move into the fall season!
If you like gelato recipes, then you have to try this pumpkin gelato! Just like this pumpkin banana bread recipe, it's full of all kinds of amazing fall flavors. This homemade gelato is both quick and easy to make. If you like pumpkin ice cream, you've got to try this!
Gelato is an Italian dessert that is made in a similar method as ice cream. The difference is that there are usually no eggs in gelato and the ratio of cream to whole milk is different than ice cream.
This base for this gelato recipe is easily made in a blender then churned in an ice cream maker. Although you'll need to plan ahead for the prep time, having a make ahead dessert waiting for you in the freezer makes this dessert ideal for entertaining. And try pairing this pumpkin gelato with this homemade pumpkin pie, these soft pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins!
And if you are looking for even more pumpkin flavored treats, then check out these pumpkin macarons. And did you know you can make pumpkin butter in a slow cooker? It's fantastic for the fall season. Your house will smell amazing! And, how cute are these Pumpkin Spritz Cookies!
🛒 Ingredients You'll Need
- Pumpkin Puree - adds pumpkin flavor in every bite!
- Heavy Cream - adds creaminess and richness.
- Whole Milk - adds additional fat to Italian gelato which helps make the texture extra smooth and creamy.
- Maple Syrup - provides a natural sweetness.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice - a flavor enhancer that adds all the tastes of fall.
🍨 Step-by-Step Recipe Instructions
Learning how to make Italian gelato is really easy. For this recipe, you'll need an ice cream maker. The key to success when making gelato is to plan ahead.
Step 1: Start by putting the canister of the ice cream maker in the freezer. It needs to be frozen for at least 24 hours ahead of time.
Step 2: Add all the pumpkin gelato ingredients in to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
Step 3: You could process this mixture right away, but the texture of the gelato will be creamier if you take the time to refrigerate it for 4-6 hours, or even overnight.
Step 4: Once chilled, pour the cold mixture into the canister. Each ice cream maker is different but I found that churning for about 15 minutes is perfect. This is the texture of the mixture when you first add it to the ice cream maker.
And that's all it takes to make this pumpkin gelato! Looks delish, right?!?! And look at how the texture changes after only 15 minutes!
Making Italian gelato is a fun activity to share with your kids because it is fascinating to watch it develop right before your eyes. Unlike baking, where your baked goods are hidden in the oven, making this is a hands-on activity and you can watch how everything comes together!
🙋🏼♀️ Recipe FAQs
The texture of gelato is creamier than ice cream and you should serve gelato at a slightly warmer temperature. To do this, allow it to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving. Using a warm serving utensil will also help.
While they are similar, they do have key differences such as ingredients, texture, flavor, and even the way they are prepared. The fat content is less in gelato. Gelato is also churned at a lower speed making it more silky and smooth.
💭 Expert Tips
- It's lovely served right after churning, but it can also be frozen and shared later.
- This is my favorite ice cream maker! It's so easy to use!
- Try topping this pumpkin gelato with pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and caramel sauce.
🎂 Let's Make More Desserts!
How To Make Pumpkin Gelato
- ice cream maker
- 1 can pumpkin puree 15 ounces
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- Start by freezing the ice cream canister for 24 hours.
- Add the 1 can of pumpkin puree, 2 cups of whole milk, ½ cup heavy cream, ¼ cup maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice into a blender.
- Combine all the ingredients in a high speed blender. Cool in the refrigerator overnight or at least 4-6 hours.
- Follow the instructions for your ice cream maker. This gelato should be churned for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately or freeze. When you are ready to enjoy the gelato, let the gelato sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- The texture of gelato is creamier than ice cream and you should serve gelato at a warmer temperature.
- It's lovely served right after churning, but can also be frozen and shared later.
- If you are serving gelato from the freezer, let is sit on the countertop for 15 minutes before scooping so that you achieve that creamy result.
- This gelato is great when topped with pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and caramel sauce.
- You'll need to freezer the canister overnight. Also, the pumpkin gelato mixture should be cooled 4-6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator before churning.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in October 2018, but was re-published with updated step-by-step instructions, pictures and tips in October 2020.