Easy to make and bursting with flavor, these Zesty Italian Roasted Potatoes are the perfect side! These red potatoes are drizzled with olive oil and marinated in an Italian dressing.
Zesty Italian Roasted Potatoes
I love a good and easy potato recipe, like my Slow Cooker Herb Roasted Garlic Potatoes and my Homemade Mashed Potatoes. But these Zesty Italian Roasted Potatoes are my new favorite side dish. These oven roasted potatoes are crispy on the outside and soft and velvety on the inside. If you’ve never made zesty potatoes before, you’re going to love this recipe.
All you need is:
- 8-10 medium size red potatoes
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Package of dry Zesty Italian Dressing Mix
- Onion Powder
How to Make Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Cube the potatoes and leave the skin on.
- Rinse well and then place the potatoes in a gallon Ziplock baggie. Add in the olive oil.
- Sprinkle a package of dry Zesty Italian Dressing Mix into the Ziplock bag.
- Add in the onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Shake well until ingredients are evenly coated on the potatoes.
- Next, line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Pour the Zesty Italian Roasted Potatoes onto the cookie sheet and spread evenly. You want these potatoes to cook evenly so it’s super important they are evenly spread out. There’s nothing worse than biting into a partially cooked potato.
- You’re going to roast these potatoes on 400 degrees fahrenheit for 45 minutes. About half way through the roasting process, you’ll want to move the potatoes around with a spatula.
- Once the potatoes are done, remove from the oven and serve immediately. I love topping these Zesty Italian Roasted Potatoes with fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Italian roasted potatoes with parmesan is the best type of potato!
What’s the Difference Between Roasting and Baking?
There are a lot of commonalities to both methods.
- Roasting typically requires a higher oven temperature, 400 degrees fahrenheit and above.
- You’ll typically find the term “baking” associated to more liquid based substances, like baking a cake or baking cookies. Even baking casseroles. You typically “roast” chickens and “roast” potatoes. Substance really does matter when using the terms “baking” vs. “roasting”.
- When you roast a food, you’ll get a crispy texture on the outside of the food. In the case of these Zesty Italian Roasted Potatoes, they get nice and crispy on the outside.
- Most of the time, roasting calls for not covering the food. When roasting, you’ll want the warm air to roast the food and provide that golden brown color and texture.
Export Tips for Roasting These Zesty Potatoes
- Let’s take a pause and look at these potatoes before we roast them in the oven. The Zesty Italian Marinade Mix is gluten free and is made up of garlic, onion, and bell pepper. I use this marinade in my Italian Marinade Steak and Vegetable Kabobs and the flavor is incredible. Super versatile and tastes amazing on so many foods.
- There’s no need to marinate these potatoes in the Zesty Italian mix, but if you want to you can. The longer you marinate, the more flavor they will have. When I do marinate these potatoes, I like to marinate them overnight. But they are plenty flavorful without going through that process.
- Leave the peels on the potatoes. All the nutrients are in the peelings. The skins also crisp up nicely when you roast the potatoes. Crispy oven roasted potatoes are the best!
- Want to enhance the flavor even more? Use a flavored olive oil. I love using a rosemary infused olive oil or garlic olive oil in this recipe.
- Potatoes for breakfast? Yes, please! These make an amazing breakfast side dish.
I’m pretty positive you’re going to LOVE these potatoes. They’re pretty irresistible!
If you made this recipe, leave me a comment and give this recipe a star review! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #recipesworthrepeating and tagging me @recipesworthrepeating.
I can’t wait to see how yours turned out!
Easy to make and bursting with flavor, these Zesty Italian Potatoes are the perfect side! Red potatoes drizzled with olive oil and marinated in Italian dressing.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
Cube the potatoes and leave the skin on. Rinse well and then place the cubed potatoes in a gallon Ziplock baggie.
Add the olive oil, onion powder, salt, pepper, and package of Zesty Italian Dressing Mix to the Ziplock baggie.
Shake the baggie well until ingredients are evenly coated on the potatoes.
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Pour the Zesty Italian Roasted Potatoes onto the cookie sheet and spread evenly.
Roast the potatoes for 45 minutes. About half way through the roasting process, you'll want to move the potatoes around with a spatula.
Once the potatoes are done, remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Top these Zesty Italian Roasted Potatoes with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in Nov 2012, but was re-published with updated step-by-step instructions, pictures, and tips in June 2019.