Baked Chicken Capri is a one dish meal and is easy and delicious. Baked chicken breasts topped with melted Provolone and ricotta cheese, mixed with oregano and tomatoes. The perfect Italian meal that will be on your table in 30 minutes!
Chicken dishes will never get old with me. I love chicken. Especially baked chicken recipes, like this One Pan Garlic Baked Chicken with Mozzarella and this Bacon Wrapped Veggie Stuffed Chicken. If you love flavorful, then you’ll love this Chicken Capri recipe. It’s full of mouthwatering flavors and it will be ready and on your table in 30 minutes.
I’ve been making this recipe for over 15 years. It originally came from The South Beach Diet Cookbook by Arthur Agatston. I used to follow the South Beach diet really closely. Before Mr. Mason and I met, his typical dinner consisted of chicken wings and a bag of Doritos. And of course, his cholesterol was super high and he was pre-diabetic. So we turned to The South Beach Diet and it got us started on the right track to eating right.
When you think about this recipe for Chicken Capri, I want you to think about a recipe for stuffed chicken breasts. Savory, full of flavor, and mouthwatering…that’s what a good stuffed chicken breasts recipe promises. While this is not a stuffed chicken breast recipe, it tastes a lot like one. Chicken Capri is a baked chicken dish covered in ricotta cheese mixed with oregano, topped with crushed tomatoes and topped with melted Provolone cheese and fresh basil.
To make this chicken and tomato recipe, all you need are the following ingredients:
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
- Dried Oregano
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 slices Provolone Cheese
How to Make Baked Chicken Capri
- Mix the ricotta. You’re going to take the ricotta cheese, dried oregano, salt, and pepper and mix it with a handheld mixer.
- Saute the chicken. Rub each chicken breast with garlic powder. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and saute for 5 minutes per side, just until golden brown.
- Prep for layering the chicken. Lay each sauteed chicken breast in an oven safe dish. Line up the crushed tomatoes, ricotta cheese, and Provolone cheese slices.
- Layer the chicken. The first layer is the ricotta cheese mixed with oregano.
- Add tomatoes. Add about 1/4 cup of crushed tomatoes on top of the ricotta covered chicken breasts.
- Top with cheese. Take a slice of Provolone cheese and place it on top of each piece of chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Since you already sauteed the chicken, it only needs about 20 more minutes to finish cooking.
- Top with fresh basil. Once the dish is done cooking, add fresh chopped basil on top of the Capri Chicken.
- Don’t over bake your chicken. Remember, you already sauteed the breasts for 5 minutes on each side. You just need to finish cooking it until it reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit, which should only take about 20 more minutes.
- Top this Baked Chicken Capri with either Provolone or Mozzarella cheese.
- When mixing the ricotta cheese, feel free to add in any additional Italian seasonings you like. I’ve used dried basil, Italian Seasoning, or rosemary and it’s delish!
- This recipe is Gluten Free.
- Do you love a good homemade classic Italian meal? Serve this chicken with a side of pasta mixed with the crushed tomatoes from the pan and you’ll have yourself an authentic tasting dinner in your own home! Pairs really well with a glass of merlot or a red blend wine.
- If you don’t want the noodles, zoodles are excellent with this meal. I have also served this recipe on a bed of rice and mashed potatoes.
What to Serve with Chicken Capri
If you made this recipe, leave me a comment and give this recipe a star review! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #recipesworthrepeating and tagging me @recipesworthrepeating.
This recipe for Chicken Capri is a one dish meal and is easy and delicious. Baked chicken breasts topped with melted Provolone and ricotta cheese, mixed with oregano and tomatoes. The perfect Italian meal that will be on your table in 30 minutes!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
With a mixer, combine the ricotta cheese with oregano, salt and pepper.
Rub the chicken with the garlic powder. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes per side. NOTE: Your chicken will not be done!
Place the chicken breasts side-by-side in a large baking dish and allow to cool.
Spoon 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture and 1/4 cup of the tomatoes onto each chicken breast.
Top each chicken breast with 1 slice of Provolone cheese.
Bake for 20 minute, or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion of a breast registers 165F.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in January 2014, but was re-published with updated step-by-step instructions, pictures, and tips in June 2019.