What’s better than delicious, juicy baked chicken? Delicious, juicy baked chicken wrapped in bacon and stuffed with spinach, artichokes, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes! This new Bacon Wrapped Veggie Stuffed Chicken recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo and whole30–compliant.
BONUS: it takes about ten minutes to prep and there’s only one pan to clean!
Let Me Introduce Myself
I’m Kelly Kirkendoll from Kitchen Gone Rogue and a new contributor at Recipes Worth Repeating. All of my recipes are dairy-free (thanks to my allergy to cow’s milk), and I try to keep it healthy … with a dose of indulgence. So don’t be surprised when you see a dessert recipe from me at some point!
This is an easy bacon wrapped chicken recipe I know you are going to love.
Back before I was diagnosed with a dairy allergy, my favorite chicken recipe was chicken breasts stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. I haven’t recreated that here, but I promise this is a tasty and much healthier option. Stuffed (literally) with vegetables, you’ll feel good about feeding this to you and your family. It’s also an impressive dish to serve to guests.
Let’s look at the specific ingredients used for this recipe:
- Chicken breasts
- Bacon (sugar-free and nitrate- & nitrite-free if eating paleo or whole30)
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Artichokes (canned, in brine)
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
How To Make This Bacon Wrapped Veggie Stuffed Chicken Breast
This recipe is relatively easy to make and takes about ten minutes to pull together before you put it in the oven. I’m going to walk you through step-by-step how to make this baked stuffed chicken breast recipe.
Marinate your chicken breasts for a half hour or more. You can skip this step (I do in a pinch), but I find that marinating the chicken definitely makes it juicier.
While the chicken is marinating (or shortly before it’s done marinating), chop up the spinach, garlic and artichokes and combine those with the sun dried tomatoes and stir. This is a good time to preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
Gently slice through the middle of your first chicken breast, starting on one side, but not going all the way through to the other side. Then stuff the inside area with the vegetable mixture, close it up and then tightly wrap 2 pieces of bacon around it. Secure the bacon and keep the chicken breast closed with 2 to 3 toothpicks. Repeat for each chicken breast and place in a cast iron skillet or baking dish.
Stuffed chicken breast cook time varies a bit. If you wrap the chicken with thin slices of bacon, bake the dish in the oven for 40 minutes at 375 degrees; then turn the oven up to broil and bake 3-5 more minutes to get the bacon crispy. Want to use thick slices of bacon? Bake for 35 minutes at 375 and broil for 9-10 minutes to get the bacon crispy.
Plate and enjoy! I love to serve this dish with a side of roasted sweet potatoes, but you can pair it with any favorite side dish.
Just look at all those vegetables! Spinach stuffed baked chicken wrapped in bacon is just beyond delish!
- My Bacon Wrapped Veggie Stuffed Chicken calls for artichokes, brined in a can. If you’re eating paleo or Whole30, this is the safest option because most jarred, marinated artichokes contain sugar and other non-compliant ingredients.
- This recipe calls for julienned sun dried tomatoes in a jar, but if you can’t find them, you can use regular (but you’ll have to cut them up).
- This recipe produces a tasty juice/broth for optimal taste; spoon some of it over your chicken before serving it. Not only does it add to the flavor, but it makes the bacon glisten beautifully.
Looking for a Delicious Side Dish?
- Red Thai Roasted Cauliflower Steaks – a fast and easy recipe! It’s dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, keto and Whole30-compliant.
- Oven-Roasted Cherry Tomatoes – this is my favorite, easiest and laziest way to use cherry tomatoes.
- Creamy Dairy-Free Cauliflower Rice – this low carb side dish is one of my dinner go-tos on a busy night.
Bacon Wrapped Veggie Stuffed Chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 6-8 pieces of bacon Bacon (sugar-free and nitrate-free if eating paleo or whole30)
- 2 cups spinach (wash and then chop)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 can 14 oz can of artichokes in brine (cut each into 3 pieces)
- 1/3 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes (from a jar)
- Marinate your chicken breasts for a half hour or more in the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Chop up the spinach, garlic and artichokes and combine those with the sun dried tomatoes and stir.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Gently slice through the middle of your first chicken breast, starting on one side and not going all the way through to the other, then stuff the inside with the vegetable mixture, close it up and then tightly wrap 2 pieces of bacon around it. Secure the bacon and keep the chicken breast closed with 2 to 3 toothpicks.
- Repeat for each chicken breast and place in a cast iron skillet or baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 375 degrees; then turn oven up to broil and bake 5-10 more minutes to get the bacon crispy. It will take closer to 5 minutes if it’s a thinner bacon; closer to 10 if it’s thick bacon.
- Plate and enjoy!
NOTE: You will find affiliate links on this page.