Fire up the grill for this easy grilled flank steak with garlic lime marinade. Incredibly flavorful and topped with a Mexican corn salad that is healthy and made with fresh avocado and bell peppers. Melt in your mouth delicious!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of We Love Fire.
Spring has sprung and it’s time to brush the dust off those grills. I love using my grill for so many reasons. For one, I don’t heat up the entire house while cooking and two, grilling is less mess. And the flavor. Grilling meat produces some of the most flavorful and satisfying meals. Especially when it comes to grilling steak. If you’re looking for new grilling recipes this spring and summer, you’re going to love this recipe for Grilled Flank Steak with Mexican Corn Salad.
But first…let’s talk about grilling.
Different Types of Grills
What type of grill do you use? There’s actually a big enough difference in the types of grills out there that it warrants some research to ensure you are getting the grill that best fits your lifestyle, taste preference, and budget. Here’s an overview of the 3 main types of grills you can choose from:
- Gas Grills – One of the benefits to using a gas grill is that you don’t have to worry about charcoal and ensuring it is hot enough before you place your food on the grill. Gas grills are the most popular and are super convenient. Ever curious about how much gas is left in your propane tank? Here’s a quick tip for checking. An empty propane tank weighs somewhere between 17 and 19 pounds. Go grab your bathroom scale and the difference in the numbers is how much gas is left. Want more information about gas grills, check it out here: Gas Grills
- Pellet Grills – They were supposed to be a fad, but they’ve been holding strong for many years now. Using a pellet grill is super EASY and convenient. The reason pellet grills are so popular is because they offer the flavor of a wood smoker with the convenience of a gas grill. If you are contemplating buying this trendy little product, check out more info here: Pellet Grills
- Charcoal Grills – Hands down, a charcoal grill produces some of the most flavorful food. And they are also super inexpensive. But many people find it hard to control the heat when using a charcoal grill. Wants some more ins and outs of using a charcoal grill? Check this article out for more information: Charcoal Grills
Regardless of the type of grill you buy, this grilled flank steak recipe is guaranteed to taste amazing on any grill!
Flank Steak Marinade Ingredients
Marinating your steak is a MUST if you want a flavorful outcome. Here’s the ingredients I use in my garlic lime marinade:
- soy sauce
- yellow onion
- olive oil
- fresh lime juice
- flank steak
Ingredients for Mexican Corn Salad
This corn salad recipe is the perfect pair for the grilled flank steak. For this salad you’re going to use the following ingredients:
- fresh corn kernels
- red pepper
- green pepper
- fresh tomato
- fresh lime juice
- olive oil
- red onion
- smoked Paprika
- Cotija cheese
Marinating Flank Steak
Combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Make sure you chop the cilantro and slice the onions. Place the flank steak in gallon Ziplock bag and let it marinate for at least 3 hours before grilling.
Making Mexican Corn Salad
Just before placing the steak on the grill, you’ll want to make your corn salad. Chop the red and green peppers, dice the tomato and red onion and combine all the ingredients into a large bowl. Stir well and store covered in the refrigerator until the steak is ready.
How To Grill Flank Steak
Once your steak has finished marinating, start your grill. I recommend getting your grill to an internal heat of about 400 degrees or higher. Remove the steak from the marinade and place it on the grill. I took a picture of the steak right out of the bag so that you can see how amazing this marinade looks. This flank steak marinade is FULL of flavor!
To grill your flank steak, I typically grill it for 7-8 minutes on each side to get more of a medium doneness. If you’re going for more of a medium rare, grill for 5-6 minutes on each side.
Once the steak has reached the internal desired doneness, pull the steak off the grill and let it rest on a plate for about 10 minutes. From there, grab a sharp knife and slice your steak into thin slices. Grab that bowl of Mexican Corn Salad out of the fridge and spoon across the steak. Squeeze fresh lime juice on top of your steak and top with crumbled Cotija cheese.
- I mentioned above that you should marinate the steak for a minimum of 3 hours, but I highly recommend marinating this steak overnight. The longer the marinade process, the more flavorful.
- You can use different cuts of steak for this recipe such as flat iron steak or skirt steak.
- Letting your steak rest after pulling it off the grill is important to ensure the steak maintains all that juiciness.
- When cutting the steak, cut against the grain and cut thin slices. That helps ensure that you steak will be tender.
- I use raw corn on the cob when making the corn salad. I rinse the corn and start slicing the corn off into the bowl. Using raw corn is totally ok and so sweet and tasty!
- Skip the bottled lime juice and jarred minced garlic. Using fresh ingredients will provide the best flavor. And did I mention that this recipe is gluten free?
What Can I Serve With Grilled Flank Steak with Mexican Corn Salad?
- My Slow Cooker Herb Roasted Garlic Potatoes go perfectly with this steak. If you are a lover of garlic, you’ll love how these pair with the steak.
- Mashed Potatoes also complement a steak extremely well!
- Going for more of a low carb meal, serve this steak with my Grilled Green Beans. You already have the grill going so why not make your entire meal off the grill?
I don’t know about you, but I love a versatile recipe. And I’m loving what I can do with this one! You have the option to keep it fancy and serve this steak with side dishes or dice up the flank steak and make tacos! I’ve also served this recipe as an appetizer. Regardless what type of grill you end up using and how you decide to serve it, this is easily going to become one of your favorite meals.
If you loved this Grilled Flank Steak with Mexican Corn Salad, give this recipe a star review! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #recipesworthrepeating and tagging me @recipesworthrepeating.
Grilled Flank Steak with Mexican Corn Salad
Flank Steak Marinade
Mexican Corn Salad
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Cotija Cheese, crumbled
Mexican Corn Salad
- Chop the red and green peppers, dice the tomato and red onion and combine all the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Stir well and store covered in the refrigerator until the steak is ready.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Please the flank steak and marinade in a large Ziplock baggie and place in the refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 3 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Once the steak has finished marinating, start the grill and let it heat until it reaches a temperature of at least 400 degrees. To grill your flank steak, I typically grill it for 6-7 minutes on each side to get more of a medium doneness. If you're going for more of a medium rare, grill for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Once the steak has reached the internal desired doneness, pull the steak off the grill and let it rest on a plate for about 10 minutes.
- From there, grab a sharp knife and slice your steak against the grain into thin slices.
- Spoon the Mexican Corn Salad across the steak. Squeeze fresh lime juice on top of your steak and top with crumbled Cotija cheese.
Note: You will find affiliate links on this page.