When you hear coleslaw, you probably think “full of mayonnaise” and “unhealthy”…but not this version. This Coleslaw recipe is so super healthy and is the best coleslaw recipe I’ve tasted! This recipe is full of fresh vegetables and the dressing is nothing but a little bit of lemon and pineapple juice! Forget the mayonnaise…we are using natural fruit juices! And the fresh cut apple pushes the flavor over the top!
Spring has sprung and I love the variety of fresh spring fruits and vegetables that are lining the shelves at my grocery store! I love a good coleslaw, but this version is hands down the best I’ve ever had. I grew up eating two kinds of coleslaw…one made from a ton of unhealthy mayonnaise and the other made with vinegar. Yuck! Don’t get me wrong though…I do enjoy a good mayo based coleslaw (like the one from Kentucky Fried Chicken) but I can’t consciously eat that version on a regular basis. It’s way too unhealthy! That’s why I love this version of coleslaw so much!
I was introduced to this healthy version of coleslaw when I attended a Saladmaster presentation. You really don’t have to have a Saladmaster Food Processor to make this dish but it definately comes in handy! The different cone shapes really help make this salad even prettier because of how they cut the fruits and vegetables, and the thicker cuts help bring out the taste even more! I love my Saladmaster Food Processor! If you haven’t seen the Saladmaster Food Processor or the Maxam Vegetable Chopper, you should check them out!
Keep in mind though….you don’t have to have a Saladmaster machine to make this recipe, but if you do the cones really help you cut the vegetables really fast. I’ve posted the cone numbers in the notes section of the recipe card. But if you don’t have the machine, just chop up your ingredients…it’s ok!
This one passes the kid taste test. My kids love this dish…I mean LOVE! Because my kiddos help me make this, they know this coleslaw contains raw radishes, squash and cabbage. But they really don’t care because the taste this coleslaw brings is so amazing. It’s fresh and full of citrus flavor and they LOVE it! This coleslaw is also naturally gluten free. Enjoy this one as a side dish or as a snack! Happy healthy eats on this version of coleslaw!
When you hear coleslaw, you probably think "full of mayonnaise" and "unhealthy"...but not this version. This Coleslaw recipe is so super healthy and is the best coleslaw recipe I've tasted! This recipe is full of fresh vegetables and the dressing is nothing but a little bit of lemon and pineapple juice! Forget the mayonnaise...we are using natural fruit juices! And the fresh cut apple pushes the flavor over the top!
- 1/4 head green cabbage, shredded or finely chopped (cone #3)
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded or finely chopped (cone #3)
- 1 zucchini, shredded or finely chopped (cone #4)
- 3 radishes, shredded or finely chopped (cone #4)
- 1 carrot, strung (cone #2)
- 1 honeycrisp apple, shredded or finely chopped (cone #4)
- 1 yellow summer squash, shredded or finely chopped (cone #2)
- 1 celery stalk, shredded, (cone #1)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice I use the juice from a can of sliced pineapple
Ensure all your veggies are washed and either shredded or chopped, per the notes above.
- Mix all vegetables and apple together in a big mixing bowl.
- Squeeze 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice from a lemon into the bowl.
- Add the pineapple juice and mix until well combined.
- Serve chilled.
NOTE: If you are using a Saladmaster machine, here are your cone sizes:
- 1⁄4 head green cabbage - use Cone #3
- 1⁄4 head red cabbage - use Cone #3
- 1 zucchini, sliced, - Cone #4
- 3 radishes, sliced, use Cone #4
- 1 carrot, strung, use Cone #2
- 1 yellow summer squash, strung, use Cone #2
- 1 celery stalk, shredded, use Cone #1
- Apple - Cone #4
- Recipe source: inspired by AJ at Saladmaster
Pin this COLESLAW recipe to your favorite Side Dish board on Pinterest!
Note: You will find affiliate links on this page.