This savory Lemon Butter Chicken is super easy to make and just over the top in taste! Full of flavor, every bite is unforgettable. The lemon cream sauce mixed with fresh garlic and Parmesan cheese pairs perfectly with the tender and juicy chicken. So savory…this dish will leave you coming back for more! Perfect for any weeknight dinner!
Best. Chicken. Recipe. EVER!
Because we all need an easy and delicious recipe for those weeknights…
This simple and crazy flavorful chicken dish is about to become a favorite in your house. I guarantee it! Gosh…I love a good chicken dish. I mean…who doesn’t? If you are anything like me though, you get in this rut of making the same chicken recipes over and over and over again. Well, sometimes you need to switch it up a bit and this recipe is the perfect one to try if you are tired of the same old chicken recipe!
Let’s talk about the simple ingredients in this dish because we all need a little bit of simple.
- Chicken Breasts
- Smoked Paprika
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Heavy cream
- Unsalted Butter
- Chicken Broth
- Parmesan Cheese
- Wine (optional but soooo worth the splash!)
How To Make This Lemon Butter Chicken
First, you’re going to start off by seasoning the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and paprika.
Next, add unsalted butter and sauté the chicken for about 2-3 minutes, on each side.
When it’s finished sautéing, you’ll set the chicken aside on a plate so you can sauté the garlic and butter. Note – the chicken is NOT done at this point.
When the garlic is sautéd, you’re ready to start making the sauce. You’re going to combine the sautéd garlic, chicken broth, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice and thyme. Oh – and don’t forget to add that splash of wine! So YUM!!
Now, you’re going to bring the sauce to a slow rolling boil.
Next, add the fresh spinach to the sauce.
The spinach will start to wilt. Guys…be prepared! This step in the process smells SO GOOD! It’s mouthwatering!
Next step…your sauce is going to start slowly thickening. When the sauce slightly thickens, you’ll add the sautéd chicken into the sauce so you can bake everything in the oven to finish up the cooking process. And the paprika in this Lemon Butter Chicken recipe! Oh I just love the paprika in this dish. It really helps this chicken sauté beautifully and that flavor…AMAZING!
The sauteed garlic mixed with the juices of the chicken and other ingredients makes you want to eat it at this stage…but please don’t! It’s worth the wait, I promise!
Lastly, after the chicken bakes in the oven, your Lemon Butter Chicken is ready to eat! Look how savory this dish turns out! Super fast and easy to make, this dish is full of flavor and this chicken is crazy juicy!
What To Pair With Lemon Butter Chicken
This is your PERFECT weeknight dinner recipe and you want to pair this Lemon Butter Chicken with some amazing side dishes. I love pairing this dish with the following:
- Ono Rice (I like to mix the rice with the lemon butter sauce…it makes every bite so divine!)
- Instant Pot Rice
- Brussels Sprout Salad
- Perfect Homemade Mashed Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
Tips and Tricks About This Lemon Butter Chicken Recipe
- Gluten Free – It’s gluten free. YEAH!
- Types of Paprika – You can use regular paprika if that’s all you have but I highly recommend using and Smoked Paprika for this dish. To keep it simple…regular paprika is just crushed dried chilies. Smoked paprika uses chilies that are smoke-dried and then crushed. HUGE flavor difference! For more differences, check out this article: Smoked Paprika Vs. Paprika
- Oven Safe Dish – This dish works perfectly in a Le Creuset Dutch Oven, but I used a Rockcrok from Pampered Chef and it worked amazingly well!
- Adding Additional Ingredients – If you want to kick this recipe up a notch and make it a bit more fancy, you can add in the Fresh mushrooms and Capers. I love the added flavor of both of these ingredients with this dish! You would simply add the fresh mushrooms and capers in when you add in the spinach and parsley! Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or your favorite pasta and it’s fantastic!
It was inevitable. This dish became a family favorite! It looks and tastes like it took a long time to make, but it’s super easy and absolutely fantastic! I promise, you will devour every single bite down to the last drop!
And if you’ve tried my Lemon Butter Chicken recipe, leave me a comment! I love to hear from my readers! And don’t forget to rate the recipe below!!
One more thing! Make sure to FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest because I’m CONSTANTLY posting recipes that I know you will love, just like this Lemon Butter Chicken recipe! Oh, and share the love by sharing this recipe to your favorite social media channels! For your convenience, I put share buttons at the top of this post!
Lemon Butter Chicken
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted butter, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Splash of dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Set aside.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a large oven-proof skillet (a Le Creuset Dutch Oven works well or a RockCrok or cast iron skillet) over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and set chicken aside on separate plate.
- While the chicken is resting, return back to the same skillet and melt remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet. Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, splash of wine and thyme.
- Bring sauce to a boil and reduce heat. Add in the spinach and parsley and simmer until the spinach and parsley has wilted and the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Continue to cook the sauce about 5-7 minutes so the sauce becomes thicker. You don't want the sauce to become too runny!
- Once your sauce is to the desired thickness, return the chicken to the oven proof dish.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dish and let sit for about 5 minutes before serving. Top with fresh chopped parsley.
- Fresh mushrooms
Update Notes: This post was originally published in September of 2016, but was republished with new photos, step-by-step instructions and tips in April of 2018.
You will find affiliate links on this page.
This recipe was originally written for Eazy Peazy Mealz.