Chili Tofu with Spicy Peanut Butter and Zoodles that is both vegan & gluten free! Sweet, spicy, and super delicious dinner recipe that’s ready in UNDER 30 minutes!
This Chili Tofu with Spicy Peanut Butter and Zoodles is so good that you will feel guilty eating it!! But you shouldn’t because it’s gluten free, vegan and low carb! So there’s no reason to feel guilty at all!
The chili tofu is slowly caramelized to a heavenly crispness on the outside and soft and silky on the inside. It’s the perfect anti climax to the fresh zucchini and the lips smacking sauce.
And the sauce…oh the sauce!
If only I could describe the sauce better, but let me try.
It’s sweet, spicy, umami, salty, and slightly tangy…all at the same time! That’s what makes this chili tofu dish so so delicious! If you like peanut butter, then I swear you will fall in LOVE with this sauce! You will be in serious trouble of smearing this sauce on EVERYTHING! It’s just THAT delicious!
To make this Chili Tofu, all you need are the following:
- Peanut Butter
- Chili paste, like sambel olek
- Soy sauce or Tamari or Coconut Aminos
- Honey/Maple Syrup
How to Make Chili Tofu with Spicy Peanut Butter and Zoodles
First, you start with making this mind blowing sauce. It’s simple really…just put all the ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds and whisk. The sauce is ready that quickly!
Next step it to caramelize the tofu. Use half the sauce, and sauce the tofu until the sauce evaporates and the tofu caramelizes.
Last step is to toss the zucchini noodles in the same pan with 1 Tablespoon of the chilli peanut sauce for 20-30 seconds.
How to Make Zoodles aka Zucchini Noodles
Making Zucchini Noodles is easiest on a spiralizer. It’s super convenient and hassle free. Two options I love are the Paderno 7 blade spiralizer and the kitchen aid spiralizer attachment. Another alternative is to get a small peeler which give you thin ribbons. The last and not too bad of an option is to use your potato peeler for this. The noodles will be flat but they will be delicious, nevertheless!
If you aren’t a zucchini noodles fan then first let me urge you (frantically!) to try it at least once. But if you are still unconvinced, go ahead and replace the zoodles with rice noodles or whatever pasta you have at hand. But zoodles are so amazing, especially with this dish.
Here’s the trick when it comes to zoodles. Cook them as little as possible. If you like raw zucchini like me, then you don’t have to cook them at all. For this recipe, I tossed the zoodles for about 10-15 seconds in the same pan I used to crisp up the tofu, so you have only one pan to clean up.
- Use extra firm tofu – anything else will crumble and result in a scramble instead. You want the tofu to be solid enough to toss around the pan.
- Zoodles – if you don’t have a spiralizer or don’t fancy zucchini noodles, feel free to use any other kind of noodles. Flat rice noodles will go wonderfully well with this chili tofus dish. Squash zoodles are also delish in this recipe.
- Zucchini Noodles cooking time – Cook the Zoodles very sparingly to keep them crispy and fresh. I cooked mine just for a few seconds.
- Use a nonstick pan for this one. It will not only save time and effort but also give you delicious crispy tofu!
- Make a double batch of the sauce and serve it along or on top of some grilled chicken. It’s SUPER delicious!!
- Homemade Peanut Butter – Did you know you can make peanut butter at home with just ONE ingredient – peanuts ? Homemade peanut butter is so good! It’s free of any preservatives, sugar, or any additives. You have got to try it!
Some More Amazing Peanut Butter things!
Want a “peanuty” super easy and healthy dessert?
- Try these Dark Chocolate Peanut butter cups! They are sugar free, gluten free, and 100% AMAHHHZZZING!
- Also these Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies are made with gluten free quick oats.
If you loved these Chilli Tofu with Spicy Peanut Butter and Zoodles, give this recipe a star review! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #recipesworthrepeating and #yellowthyme and tagging me @yellowthyme and @recipesworthrepeating.
Chili Tofu with Spicy Peanut Butter and Zoodles that is both vegan & gluten free! Sweet, spicy, and super delicious dinner recipe that's ready in UNDER 30 minutes!
- 1 cup Tofu, firm
- 3 cups Zuchinni Noodles Zoodles
- 3 Tablespoons Peanut Butter, Homemade or store-bought
- 2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Tamari, or Soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar or Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoons Chili Paste (like sambal olek or sriracha)
- 1 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Clove Garlic Crushed
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Crushed
Add peanut butter, Sesame oil, tamari, vinegar, sriracha, honey, grated ginger,and garlic in a bowl.
Microwave it for 30 seconds, mix, and set aside. Alternatively heat it on the stove for 1 minute on low. Whisk until it's completely smooth.
Heat a nonstick pan. Add the tofu along with half the peanut butter and Chili sauce. Sauté it in the pan until the sauce evaporates and the tofu caramelizes.
Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
In the same pan, add the zoodles along with a Tablespoon of sauce. Toss and cook on medium heat for 10-20 seconds (it should still hold shape)
Scoop the zoodles in a large bowl and top it with the tofu. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and peanuts.
- 1 Cup of Tofu equals 200 grams.